Dynamic forces with radial acceleration

In summary, the problem involves a 4.00-kg block attached to a vertical rod by two strings. The tension in the upper string is 80.0 N and the goal is to find the tension in the lower string and the number of revolutions per minute the system makes. The sum of forces in the x direction is equal to Tsin(theta) and the sum of forces in the y direction is equal to cos(theta) + (-mg). The calculations for the radius using Pythagorean theorem were incorrect, leading to incorrect results. The correct equation for the vertical components is T1cos(theta1) = T2cos(theta2) + Mg, which should give the correct answer.
trajan22
well this problem is killing me and I've spent a good 3 hours or so on it and still have no real results.

This is the problem
The 4.00-kg block in the figure View Figure is attached to a vertical rod by means of two strings. When the system rotates about the axis of the rod, the strings are extended as shown in the diagram and the tension in the upper string is 80.0 N.
What is the tension in the lower cord?

How many revolutions per minute does the system make?

there is the picture provided

what i did

i realized that the sum of the forces in the x direction is equal to Tsin(theta) and that this is equal to the mass times the radial acceleration
I bisected the triangle in order to make it a right triangle. from here i found the angle measures using arcsin(1/1.25)... i also found the radius by using the pythagorean thrm. to be .75m.
from here i tried to solve part b but came out with a wrong answer

for the y direction i know the sum of the forces is equal to cos(theta)+(-mg)
these forces that I've described are only for the top string and not the bottom...im not really sure where to go from here or if I am even on the right track

sorry to bother you guys again I am just on the verge of giving up on this problem

I think the main problem is that I am having troubel with finding all the forces for centripetal acceleration.
ive attached a force diagram that i made. but I am missing something??

Attachments

• yf_Figure_5_72.jpg
    yf_Figure_5_72.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 403
  • untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    4.4 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ive added a force diagram to this problem...but I am stilll utterly confused please help.

You know that the vertical force from the upper cord is going to be [tex]T_1cos \theta[/tex]. You also know that this needs to cancel the downwards force from the wieght of the block and the tension from the lower cord.

You are right in equating the sum horizontal parts of the tension forces to the centripetal force of [tex]\frac {mv^2} {r}[/tex], but you just made a mistake in your calculations of the radius.

Like you said use pythagoras's theorem.

Use [tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2[/tex]
you know that a=1 and c=1.25 so plug that into the equation above and rearrange to solve for b.

You can then solve for v using the method you were using before (paragraph 2) and then you just need to think of how you can get the number of revolutions per minute from knowing the velocity.

well i still am not getting the right tension in the lower string though...i am taking Tcos(37) to be the normal force and i am subtracting the weight because it is providing slack to the lower string. where is this going wrong

So is your equation for the vertical components this:

[tex]T_1 cos \theta_1 = T_2 cos \theta_2 + Mg[/tex]

where [tex]\theta_1=\theta_2[/tex]

That should give you the right answer. There is one upwards force, which is [tex]T_1 cos \theta[/tex] and then there are two downwards forces, which are Mg and [tex]T_2 cos \theta[/tex]. The only thing that could make it so you are getting the wrong answer is that [tex]\theta_2[/tex] is wrong...and that would mean that the diagram is wrong. Either that or the answer in the book is wrong.

FAQ: Dynamic forces with radial acceleration

1. What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences as it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How is radial acceleration related to centripetal force?

Radial acceleration and centripetal force are directly related to each other. Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path, and its magnitude is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the radial acceleration. In other words, centripetal force is the force that is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circle.

3. What is the difference between radial acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Radial acceleration and tangential acceleration are both components of the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. Radial acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is directed tangent to the circle. Radial acceleration is responsible for changing the direction of an object's velocity, while tangential acceleration is responsible for changing its speed.

4. How does radial acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Radial acceleration plays a crucial role in the motion of an object moving in a circular path. It is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's velocity, which keeps it moving in a circular path. Without radial acceleration, an object would continue to move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

5. What are some real-world applications of radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is a fundamental concept in many fields of science and engineering. It is used in the design of roller coasters, carousels, and other amusement park rides. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in orbit, such as satellites and planets. In addition, radial acceleration is used in the study of fluid dynamics, as it helps to explain the circular motion of fluids in a centrifuge.