Dynamics and F=ma, where a is 0

In summary, a 24kg box is placed on a slope and the resultant force is found to be 24x0, with a corresponding acceleration of 0.
FaithAlyRose

Homework Statement

A 24kg box is placed on a rough slope. Determine the magnitude of the frictional force exerted by the slope on the box if the box is moving downward at a constant velocity of 9.0m/s. The slope incline is 40°

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 24 x 0
a = 0 because speed is constant.
Resultant force = Initial force - frictional force

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is that attempt? You seem to have learned things in way too hurry. First draw the FBD of the block. See what are the forces acting on it. How can it's acceleration be put to zero etc.,

Start with a free-body diagram. I encourage you to explain what you're doing instead of trying to make us guess what you reasoning is.

vela said:
Start with a free-body diagram. I encourage you to explain what you're doing instead of trying to make us guess what you reasoning is.

Well, as stated in the title, I used F=ma, so the working I came up with was F=24x0, with 24 being the mass of the box and 0 for the acceleration since the speed is constant.

vivekrai said:
What is that attempt? You seem to have learned things in way too hurry. First draw the FBD of the block. See what are the forces acting on it. How can it's acceleration be put to zero etc.,

Haha sorry, I'm still very new to Physics, as I'm only 13. Our teacher just started teaching us, but he's far from thorough so we're struggling...

For the FBD, I drew
1) weight acting vertically downwards
2) friction acting opposite the direction of motion
3) a force acting perpendicular to the incline of the slope
4) the direction of motion

Thanks for offering your help! :)

FaithAlyRose said:

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 24 x 0
a = 0 because speed is constant.
Resultant force = Initial force - frictional force
What do you mean by "initial force"?

FaithAlyRose said:
Well, as stated in the title, I used F=ma, so the working I came up with was F=24x0, with 24 being the mass of the box and 0 for the acceleration since the speed is constant.
I figured that's what you probably did, but it's better to hear you actually say it. Students can quite often come up with the correct answer for the wrong reasons.

FaithAlyRose said:
For the FBD, I drew
1) weight acting vertically downwards
2) friction acting opposite the direction of motion
3) a force acting perpendicular to the incline of the slope
4) the direction of motion
Choose a set of axes and resolve the forces into x and y components. Then set up two equations:
\begin{align*}
\sum F_x &= ma_x \\
\sum F_y &= ma_y
\end{align*} where, as you noted, you have ##a_x = a_y = 0## since the box moves at constant speed.

Related to Dynamics and F=ma, where a is 0

1. What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and the forces that cause or change that motion.

2. What is F=ma?

F=ma is a formula that represents Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What does it mean when a is 0 in F=ma?

When a is 0 in F=ma, it means that the object is not accelerating. This could be due to the object being at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

4. How is F=ma used in real-life applications?

F=ma is used in various real-life applications, such as designing vehicles, understanding the motion of objects in space, and determining the force needed to move objects. It is also used in sports to analyze the performance of athletes.

5. How does F=ma relate to other laws of motion?

F=ma is closely related to Newton's other laws of motion, particularly the first and third laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, while the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. F=ma combines these two laws to explain how forces cause objects to accelerate.