Dynamics Impulse problem mechanical engineering

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension in a cable and the velocity of point B after 5 seconds. The system is released from rest and there is no slipping. The weight of the pulley and cable are neglected. The solution involves using the parallel axis theorem to transfer the MMOI to the point of contact, and establishing a kinematic relation between the rotation of the cylinder and the weight on the cord in order to determine the acceleration.
ksukhin

Homework Statement

find tension in cable and velocity of B after 5 seconds. System released from rest. no slipping, neglect weight of pulley and cable.

Homework Equations

τ(t) = Iω
Parallel axis theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

Picture of problem: http://i49.tinypic.com/5ue7sx.jpgthe question is R15-3, I attempted the problem by rotating the axes but i think that made me more confused. Once I do that, the tension on the wheel is still the same as the tension on the rope(not the X component?)

Also my prof said to consider parallel axis theorem, but if I'm analyzing the rolling wheel, isn't the point of rotation at the bottom where it touches the ground?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the standard form for computing the MMOI for the cylinder about its own CM, but then, as you observed, the center of rotation is the point of contact, so you can use the parallel axis theorem to transfer to that center of rotation.

The more difficult part of the problem is the kinematic relation between the rotation of the cylinder and the weight on the cord. You must establish this because the accelerations are coupled by this kinematic relation. There is only 1 degree of freedom here, and consequently 1 equation of motion to be determined. Good luck!

FAQ: Dynamics Impulse problem mechanical engineering

1. What is the difference between dynamics and impulse in mechanical engineering?

Dynamics is the study of objects in motion, while impulse is the change in momentum of an object due to a force acting on it for a specific period of time.

2. How is the impulse-momentum theorem used in solving dynamics problems?

The impulse-momentum theorem states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse acting on it. This is useful in solving dynamics problems by relating the force applied to an object with its resulting change in momentum.

3. What is the significance of impulse in mechanical engineering?

Impulse is significant in mechanical engineering because it allows us to analyze the effects of forces on objects in motion. It also helps us understand how to design and control systems to achieve desired movements and to minimize impacts and vibrations.

4. How do you calculate impulse and momentum in a dynamics problem?

To calculate impulse, you can use the formula Impulse = Force x Time. Momentum can be calculated using the formula Momentum = Mass x Velocity. In a dynamics problem, you would need to know the force, time, mass, and velocity of the object to calculate impulse and momentum.

5. Can the impulse-momentum theorem be applied to non-rigid bodies?

Yes, the impulse-momentum theorem can be applied to both rigid and non-rigid bodies. However, in the case of non-rigid bodies, the calculation of impulse and momentum may be more complex due to the varying shape and deformations of the object.

Back