Dynamics Problem: Calculating the torque on the thighs and shanks

In summary, to solve the dynamics problem of a simple robot in Pro E, you will need to use the equations of motion to calculate the torques at each joint, taking into account the forces and moments acting on each body, as well as the inertia and geometrical properties. The friction experienced by the joints and the changing angular velocities and accelerations of the thigh and shank should also be considered in order to accurately solve for the torque experienced by the thigh connection.
gianalvarez
Hi,
I have a machine design problem here. Actually, it's more of a dynamics problem. I designed a simple robot in Pro E (please refer to figure) and I have to manually solve for the torque experienced by the thigh connection (the joint that connects the thigh to the torso) as the thigh and the shank moves. I did a lot of methods but they don't seem to work. The torso is fixed so it serves as the datum. The angular positions of the thigh and the shanks are given. I have the mass and inertia properties (mass, moments of inertia, volume) of the materials involved as well as the geometrical properties (length, width, height, center of mass). The thigh and the shank have angular velocities and accelerations and they are assumed to be equal to zero initially. For this problem, we can consider the analysis of the right lower limb first. Please help me with this. Thanks a lot.
Biped_right.jpg
Biped.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
To solve this problem, you will need to use the equations of motion. These equations can be used to calculate the torques experienced by each joint. You will also need to calculate the forces and moments acting on each body in the system. In order to do this, you will need to use the inertia properties of each body as well as the geometrical properties. Additionally, you will need to define the inertia parameters in terms of the coordinates of the thigh connection, as this is the joint you are trying to solve for. Once these parameters have been defined, you will then be able to use the equations of motion to calculate the torques experienced by the thigh connection. This can be done by calculating the angular momentum of the system, and then using the equation of motion to solve for the torques at each joint. It may also be useful to consider the friction experienced by the joints, as this can affect the torque experienced by the thigh connection. You can use a friction model to account for this, or you can use Coulomb's law to calculate the coefficient of friction between the surfaces of the joint. Finally, it is important to note that the torques experienced by the thigh connection will change over time, due to the changing angular velocities and accelerations of the thigh and shank. Therefore, you will need to consider how these variables change over time in order to accurately calculate the torque experienced by the thigh connection.

Related to Dynamics Problem: Calculating the torque on the thighs and shanks

1. How do you calculate the torque on the thighs and shanks?

To calculate the torque on the thighs and shanks, you will need to know the force applied, the distance from the point of rotation to the force, and the angle between the force and the lever arm. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance x sin(angle).

2. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. How does the angle affect the torque?

The angle plays a crucial role in determining the torque. A greater angle between the force and the lever arm will result in a higher torque, while a smaller angle will result in a lower torque.

4. How is the torque on the thighs and shanks important in dynamics?

The torque on the thighs and shanks is important in dynamics because it helps us understand how forces affect the movement and stability of the lower body. It is also important in sports performance, as a higher torque can result in more powerful movements.

5. Can you give an example of calculating torque on the thighs and shanks?

Yes, for example, if a person is squatting with a weight of 100 pounds, and the distance from their hip joint to the weight is 2 feet, and the angle between the weight and the lever arm (thigh) is 45 degrees, the torque can be calculated as torque = 100 lbs x 2 ft x sin(45 degrees) = 100 lbs x 1.4 ft = 140 ft-lb.

Back