Dynamics Problem (suitcase pulled across floor find Fn)

• Thread starter chiuda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the passenger pulls a 20 suitcase across the airport floor with a strap that is 42° above the horizontal. There is no information given for part a, so the student assumes the acceleration is zero and solves for the normal force. The solution is that the passenger applies a force of 9.8N to the suitcase.
chiuda

Homework Statement

At the airport, you pull a 20 suitcase across the floor with a strap that is at an angle of 42° above the horizontal.Find the Normal Force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have broken it down into all equations with just variables trying so solve for the normal force but i just can't seem to get it i don't know if i assume constant acceleration or not and if the Force applied Y is included in the normal force or if it is separate i am fairly certain it is separate but i could be wrong. Any help at all will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like some information is missing in the problem statement. Have you posted the complete problem word for word as given?

There is info given for part b but for this part (part a) my assignment expects me to complete it without any other info, but it seems to me that it can not be done, but often I know the imposible is possible in physics, hence why I came here :P

Well, unless you are told the pulling force (or are given enough information to figure it out, which does not appear to be the case) there's not much you can do to find the normal force.

What additional information is given for part b?

Doc Al said:
(or are given enough information to figure it out,
.. such as, coefficient of kinetic friction, e.g.

hi chiuda! :smile:
chiuda said:
… i don't know if i assume constant acceleration or not and if the Force applied Y is included in the normal force or if it is separate i am fairly certain it is separate but i could be wrong. Any help at all will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

you should assume the acceleration is zero

even so, you can't find the normal force without knowing µ :redface:

Ya ot gives me coeff of kin friction and assume acceleration is zero in part be and qith that I know how to do it but I just wanted to see if you could do it without it for A because it wasnt given for that part

ok i used the info from B and got it, thanks physics friends :)

Related to Dynamics Problem (suitcase pulled across floor find Fn)

1. How do you calculate the normal force (Fn) in a dynamics problem?

The normal force (Fn) can be calculated using the formula Fn = mg + ma, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

2. What is the significance of the normal force (Fn) in a dynamics problem?

The normal force (Fn) is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. In a dynamics problem, it is important because it is responsible for counteracting the weight of the object and preventing it from falling through the surface.

3. What factors affect the normal force (Fn) in a dynamics problem?

The normal force (Fn) is affected by the weight and acceleration of the object, as well as the angle and type of surface it is in contact with. It is also affected by any other forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can the normal force (Fn) ever be negative in a dynamics problem?

No, the normal force (Fn) can never be negative in a dynamics problem. It is always equal and opposite to the weight of the object, and since weight is a scalar quantity, the normal force must also be a positive scalar value.

5. How does the normal force (Fn) affect the motion of an object in a dynamics problem?

The normal force (Fn) plays a crucial role in determining the motion of an object in a dynamics problem. It can either increase or decrease the net force on the object, which in turn affects its acceleration. If the normal force is greater than the weight of the object, it will accelerate upwards, and if it is less than the weight, it will accelerate downwards.