Dynamics - Pulley System with Rotating Rod

In summary, the rod is rotating about its center of rotation with 3.8 rad/s. The pulley, with 8.7 kg and 0.2 m of radius, may be modeled as a uniform disc. The rod, with 4.1 kg and 0.8 m of radius, may be modeled as a thin beam rotating about one end. The tension force acting between the rod and the pulley is 9.8 kgm/s².
bonannic

Homework Statement

At the instant shown, the rod R is rotating about its centre of rotation with ω=3.8rad/s.

mA=10kg;

The pulley, with mP=8.7kg and RP=0.2m, may be modeled as a uniform disc.

The rod, with mR=4.1kg and L=0.8m, may be modeled as a thin beam rotating about one end.

g=9.8m/s ².

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of point B at this instant?

Homework Equations

ΣF=ma (N2) ΣM=Iα (Eulers equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

IP=(1/2)MR2
IRod at centre of rotation=(1/3)ML2

I defined upwards and anticlockwise to be positive and thus derived the following equations:
ΣFA=TA-mAg=mAaA
ΣMP at centre=RpTA-RpTB=IPαP
ΣMRod at end=-LTB+(1/2)LMRg=IRαR
where TA= Tension force acting between A and pulley and TB=Tension force acting between rod and pulley

I then found these constraints on aB in terms of aAPR
-aB=aA
5aBP
(-5/4)aBR
assuming that aB is acting upwards

Then, by subbing aB into the three original equations, I got the following system of equations:
TA+mAaB=mAg
RpTA-RpTB-5IPaB=0
-LTB+(5/4)IRaB=-(1/2)LMRg

However, when I solve this system of linear equations I get the wrong answer. I have a feeling this is because I ignored the angular velocity of the rod but I can't see that would affect the acceleration of B.

Attachments

• RK12.jpg
    RK12.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
If you ignored everything (gravity and tension) except for the fact that the rod is rotating. Would B have zero acceleration?

The question does not specify. All the information in the problem statement is all the information that the question gives.

It is not a question about the problem, it is a question to you.

Ah ok. So the end of the rod would be accelerating towards the pivot point as well.
I took this into consideration and got the right answer. I guess I should have studied the end of the rod more closely. Thank you so much for your help :)

Related to Dynamics - Pulley System with Rotating Rod

What is a pulley system with rotating rod?

A pulley system with rotating rod is a mechanical system that uses a combination of pulleys and a rotating rod to transfer motion and force between two or more objects. The rotating rod acts as a lever to increase or decrease the amount of force needed to move an object.

What is the principle behind a pulley system with rotating rod?

The principle behind a pulley system with rotating rod is based on the law of conservation of energy and the concept of mechanical advantage. The energy input into the system is equal to the energy output, but the rotating rod allows for a smaller input force to produce a larger output force.

How does the number of pulleys affect the force required in a pulley system with rotating rod?

The number of pulleys in a pulley system with rotating rod affects the force required to move an object. The more pulleys there are, the less force is needed to move the object. This is because the force is distributed among multiple pulleys, reducing the overall amount of force needed.

What are some real-world applications of a pulley system with rotating rod?

A pulley system with rotating rod has many practical applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and exercise equipment. It is also commonly used in industrial settings to lift and move heavy objects or materials.

What are the advantages of using a pulley system with rotating rod over other mechanical systems?

One of the main advantages of a pulley system with rotating rod is its ability to increase or decrease the amount of force needed to move an object, making it more efficient and versatile than other mechanical systems. It also allows for smooth and controlled movement of objects, reducing the risk of damage or accidents.