Dynamics Question: Finding mass using Vi, Vf, D and acceleration

In summary, a 3rd year university student who is new to the forum and has never taken physics before is studying for a dynamics unit test. They are trying to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction in a question involving a car skidding to a stop. They found the deceleration using kinematics formula and were stuck on finding the mass of the car. However, they were reminded that the mass cancels out in the equation μmg=ma and were able to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction.
Apollinaria
Hi everyone, I'm new to forum and am a 3rd year university student who has never taken physics until now.. I'm currently studying for a dynamics unit test and came upon this question...

Homework Statement

A car whose brakes are locked skids to a stop in 70m from an initial velocity of 22.22m/s. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Vi: 22.22m/s
Vf: 0m/s
d: 70m
a(deceleration): -3.526m/s^2
g= 9.81m/s^2
μ=?

Homework Equations

- Found deceleration using kinematics formula Vf^2=Vi^2 =2ad
- Ff= μFn
- Fg=mg
- Fnet(y)=ma ; a(up/down)=0 ; Fnet(y)=0 ; Fn-Fg=0 ; Fn=Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find Fn, in order to be able to solve for μ, I need to know the mass of the car... I have no idea where to even begin solving for the mass of the car using the currently known values :(

If anyone has time, please point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• Dynamics.jpg
    Dynamics.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it should be Fnet(x)=ma.
What is Fnet(x) here? (Here only one force is acting in the direction of motion of car i.e force of friction)

EDIT: Oh, btw, welcome to PF!

Pranav-Arora said:
I suppose it should be Fnet(x)=ma.
What is Fnet(x) here? (Here only force is acting in the direction of motion of car i.e force of friction)

Hi there :)
I added an attachment.
Fnet(x)=ma

We have the acceleration but still not the mass. That's where I lost it :rolleyes:

EDIT: Thanks very much! I've been circling around this forum for weeks now and finally decided to join since magic tutor couldn't save me and the test is on Monday :P

Apollinaria said:
Hi there :)
I added an attachment.
Fnet(x)=ma

We have the acceleration but still not the mass. That's where I lost it :rolleyes:

EDIT: Thanks very much! I've been circling around this forum for weeks now and finally decided to join since magic tutor couldn't save me and the test is on Monday :P

I haven't checked your calculations but can you write [itex]μmg=ma[/itex]? See the m cancels on both the sides, you don't require the mass of car now.

I'm not sure why you think you need the mass. If you already have the acceleration, then you know that the force of kinetic friction [itex]F_k = ma[/itex] is also equal to [itex]\mu F_g = \mu m g[/itex]. The mass cancels out.

Pranav-Arora said:
I haven't checked your calculations but can you write [itex]μmg=ma[/itex]? See the m cancels on both the sides, you don't require the mass of car now.

OMG! I can't believe I missed that! I see what you did there :wink:
Grazie mille!:!)

Muphrid said:
I'm not sure why you think you need the mass. If you already have the acceleration, then you know that the force of kinetic friction [itex]F_k = ma[/itex] is also equal to [itex]\mu F_g = \mu m g[/itex]. The mass cancels out.

Because logic and the obvious escape me :wink:
This is what happens when a mathematically challenged biology student tries to do physics :redface: Thanks for your reply!

Related to Dynamics Question: Finding mass using Vi, Vf, D and acceleration

1. How do you find the mass using initial velocity, final velocity, distance, and acceleration?

To find the mass, you can use the equation m = (Vf^2 - Vi^2)/(2aD), where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and D is the distance.

2. What are the units for mass when using this equation?

The units for mass will depend on the units used for velocity (m/s), distance (m), and acceleration (m/s^2). However, the final unit for mass will be in kilograms (kg) since it is the standard unit for mass in the International System of Units (SI).

3. Can this equation be used for any type of motion?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of motion as long as the initial and final velocities, distance, and acceleration are known. This includes linear motion, circular motion, and projectile motion.

4. What if the acceleration is unknown, can this equation still be used?

No, the acceleration is a required variable in this equation. If the acceleration is unknown, this equation cannot be used to find the mass. However, other equations, such as F = ma, can be used to find the acceleration if other variables, such as force and mass, are known.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

One limitation is that this equation assumes constant acceleration. If the acceleration is not constant, then this equation will not provide an accurate result. Additionally, this equation does not take into account external factors, such as air resistance, which may affect the motion and ultimately the calculated mass.