Dynamics Questions involving Friction

In summary, given the coefficient of kinetic friction between a 3.5kg bowling ball and the ice on a frozen lake (μ= 0.02) and an initial velocity of 16.5ms^-1, the distance the ball will travel before friction brings it to rest depends on whether it behaves like a block or a puck. If it behaves like a block, the distance can be calculated using the weight force (Fn=mg) and the force of kinetic friction. If it behaves like a puck, the distance can be calculated using the conservation of angular momentum.
Nith

Homework Statement

The coefficient of kinetic friction between a 3.5kg bowling ball and the ice on a frozen lake is very small: μ= 0.02. If the ball is bowled on the ice with an initial velocity of 16.5ms^-1, how far will it travel before friction brings it to rest?

Homework Equations

Fn=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

i have figured out the weight force.
3.5x9.8=34.3N

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nith and welcome to PF.

How is the weight force related to friction?

Nith said:
The coefficient of kinetic friction between a 3.5kg bowling ball and the ice on a frozen lake is very small: μ= 0.02. If the ball is bowled on the ice with an initial velocity of 16.5ms^-1, how far will it travel before friction brings it to rest?
Are you sure this is the question exactly as given to you?
As it stands it makes no sense. It will slide at first but later roll. No rolling resistance is specified, so it could roll forever.

Haruspex it is written exactly like that
And i was just confused and may have thought weight force was needed

haruspex said:
Are you sure this is the question exactly as given to you?
As it stands it makes no sense. It will slide at first but later roll. No rolling resistance is specified, so it will could roll forever.
Because of the sparsity of information I assumed that the ball behaves as if it were a block and slides until it comes to rest.

kuruman said:
Because of the sparsity of information I assumed that the ball behaves as if it were a block and slides until it comes to rest.
It clearly specifies a ball, not a puck.

kuruman said:
I assume that is what they want. How would you solve this?

haruspex said:
It clearly specifies a ball, not a puck.
How would you solve this?

Nith said:
How would you solve this?
As I posted, the question as stated is nonsensical. Two possible errors:
1. They mean a puck, not a ball. In this case, answer @kuruman 's post #2.
2. They meant to ask "before the ball rolls without slipping". In this case, you need to think angular momentum. In what circumstances is that conserved?

haruspex said:
As I posted, the question as stated is nonsensical. Two possible errors:
1. They mean a puck, not a ball. In this case, answer @kuruman 's post #2.
2. They meant to ask "before the ball rolls without slipping". In this case, you need to think angular momentum. In what circumstances is that conserved?
we have not covered angular momentum. But assuming it is a puck how can i solve it with the given information?

Nith said:
we have not covered angular momentum. But assuming it is a puck how can i solve it with the given information?
Then answer #2 and see if you can find the acceleration from the force.

Nith said:
You posted one relevant equation. You need one related to kinetic friction. You must have been taught one.

haruspex said:
You posted one relevant equation. You need one related to kinetic friction. You must have been taught one.
Yes but how do i calculate the disance?

Nith said:
Yes but how do i calculate the disance?
How do you mean "yes"? Do you mean you know the equation I am referring to? Please post it.

Related to Dynamics Questions involving Friction

1. What is friction and how does it affect dynamics?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. In dynamics, friction can affect the speed, acceleration, and overall motion of an object. It can also cause an object to come to a stop, change direction, or slide.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between two surfaces. This value is usually represented by the Greek letter mu (μ) and is a unitless quantity.

3. How does the type of surface affect friction?

The type of surface can greatly affect friction. Rougher surfaces tend to have higher coefficients of friction, meaning there is more resistance to motion. Smoother surfaces have lower coefficients of friction, allowing for easier motion.

4. Can friction ever be a beneficial force in dynamics?

Yes, friction can be a beneficial force in dynamics. For example, friction allows us to walk without slipping, helps car tires grip the road, and allows us to grip objects with our hands. Without friction, many everyday tasks would be much more difficult.

5. How can we reduce friction in dynamics?

We can reduce friction in dynamics by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Another way is to use smooth and polished surfaces, or by adding wheels or ball bearings to reduce the amount of contact between two surfaces. However, it is important to note that completely eliminating friction is not always desirable, as it can also be a beneficial force as mentioned earlier.