Dynamics: Rigid body problem, angular rotation

Your Name]In summary, we are given an L-shaped plate that is pinned at two points and is rotated by a rod at a constant angular velocity of 0.2rad/s counter-clockwise. To find the angular velocity of the L-shaped plate, we can use the equation w = v/r = w(OF) = v(F) / OF, where v(F) is the velocity of point F and OF is the distance from point F to the pivot point O. Using trigonometry, we can find that the angular velocity of the L-shaped plate is 0.0625 rad/s. The instantaneous zero velocity centre is the point where the velocity of point F is equal to the velocity of point G. Using
student13

Homework Statement

An L-shaped plate is pinned at a point F and G with two poles OF and ED (OF = 1m, OG = 0.6m), which in turn are pinned at fixed points O and E, respectively, as shown in the attached image. If rod OF rotates with a constant angular velocity 0.2rad/s counter-clockwise, when the mechanism passes the position as show, determine
i) the angular velocity of the L-shaped plate
ii) the instantaneous zero velocity centre
iii) the angular acceleration

Homework Equations

omega = velocity x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

using trig, the length FG = 3 m, therefore, the velocity of F can be calculated using w = v/r = w(OF) = v(F) / OF => v(F) = 0.2 m/s,

however, i do not understand as how can V = W, and then how do i go on to find the angular velocity of the L-shaped plate? i am so confused. please help me, rather than tell me what or how to do something, thank you

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations so far. To find the angular velocity of the L-shaped plate, you can use the equation w = v/r = w(OF) = v(F) / OF. In this case, v(F) is the velocity of point F, which you have already calculated to be 0.2 m/s. Now, to find the angular velocity of the L-shaped plate, you need to find the distance from point F to the pivot point O. This distance can be calculated using trigonometry, as you have mentioned, and is equal to 3.2 m. Therefore, the angular velocity of the L-shaped plate is 0.0625 rad/s (0.2/3.2).

Moving on to the instantaneous zero velocity centre, this is the point on the mechanism that has zero velocity at any given instant. In this case, it is the point where the velocity of point F is equal to the velocity of point G. Using the equation v(F) = v(G) = w(FG) x r(FG), we can calculate the distance from point F to the instantaneous zero velocity centre. This distance is equal to 1.2 m, which is also the distance from point G to the instantaneous zero velocity centre.

Lastly, to find the angular acceleration, we can use the equation a = alpha x r, where alpha is the angular acceleration and r is the distance from the pivot point to the point of interest. In this case, we can use the distance from point F to find the angular acceleration, which is equal to 0.025 rad/s^2 (0.2/8).

I hope this helps clarify the steps you need to take to solve this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Dynamics: Rigid body problem, angular rotation

1. What is a rigid body?

A rigid body is an object that maintains its shape and size even when subjected to external forces or torques. This means that the distances between any two points on the body remain constant.

2. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. In other words, angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating, while angular acceleration measures how quickly the angular velocity is changing.

3. How is angular momentum related to angular velocity?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is directly proportional to the angular velocity of the object and its moment of inertia, which is a measure of the object's distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the motion of a rigid body?

The distribution of mass affects the moment of inertia of a rigid body, which in turn affects its angular velocity and angular momentum. Objects with more mass concentrated towards their axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia and thus a higher angular velocity for a given angular momentum.

5. How do external forces and torques affect the motion of a rigid body?

External forces and torques can cause a rigid body to experience changes in its linear and rotational motion. These forces and torques can cause the body to accelerate or decelerate, change its direction of motion, or change its rate of rotation. The effects of these external forces and torques can be calculated using the laws of motion and principles of rotational dynamics.