E-bike Project: Finding Torque for 25 kmph Vehicle with 120 kg Gross Weight

In summary, the requirement for the project is to have a front wheel drive three-wheeler with a brushless DC geared motor, with a vehicle speed of 25 kmph and a gross weight of 120 kg. The front wheel diameter is 30 cm and the question is whether a 250W motor can achieve this requirement. Equations are needed to find the torque required to drive the vehicle on a flat road. The individual has tried some basic formulas but has not found a solution yet. They are also considering using spoke to center (STC) technology for better traction, a modern design with a slim profile, and a power-to-weight ratio of 500W/1000W and torque of 25/50 Nm
anas@pibeam
This is my requirement for one of my projects on E-bike.
front wheel drive three wheeler with brushless DC geared motor.
vehicle speed = 25 kmph
Gross weight = 120 kg
front wheel dia = 30 cm
whether 250 Watts motor can able to achieve this requirement?
What equations has to be used to find out the torque required to drive the vehicle on flat road?
someone please help me out..

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

i have tried some basic formula to find whether the motor suits my requirements..but the answer is not coming
first i tried to find out the motor speed from velocity using
v=2*pi*r*N/60
then with that speed i found out the torque
p=2*pi*N*T/60
then i compared this one with
T=TE*r*RF
TE-Tractive effort
RF-Resistance factor
and P=F*v
F= mu*m*g
i am not sure where i had done the mistake

Do you need to use maths?

How much power can a racing cyclist generate? Google it.

Here's i given some specification-
  • Spoke to center (STC) technology allows better flex and traction on trails
  • Modern design with super slim profile
  • Industry-leading power-to-weight ratio
  • Power – 500W / 1000W
  • Torque – 25/50 Nm (18/37 lb-ft)
  • Weight – 3.9 kg (8.6 lb)

old thread alert.

Related to E-bike Project: Finding Torque for 25 kmph Vehicle with 120 kg Gross Weight

What is the purpose of the E-bike Project?

The purpose of the E-bike Project is to determine the necessary torque for an electric bike to reach a speed of 25 kmph with a total weight of 120 kg. This information can then be used to design and build a more efficient and powerful e-bike.

Why is torque important for an e-bike?

Torque is the measure of rotational force, and it is crucial for an e-bike because it determines the bike's ability to accelerate and climb hills. A higher torque allows for faster acceleration and better performance on inclines.

How is torque calculated for an e-bike?

Torque for an e-bike is calculated by multiplying the motor's force (measured in Newtons) by the radius of the wheel (measured in meters). This gives the bike's torque in Newton-meters (Nm).

What factors can affect the torque needed for an e-bike?

There are several factors that can affect the torque needed for an e-bike, including the weight of the rider and the bike, the terrain, and the desired speed. Additionally, the type and power of the motor, as well as the gearing system, can also impact the required torque.

How can the results of the E-bike Project be used?

The results of the E-bike Project can be used to optimize the design and performance of e-bikes. By understanding the necessary torque for a certain weight and speed, manufacturers can create more efficient and powerful e-bikes that meet the needs of consumers.