Early Earth: A Rapid Spin Through History

• I
  • Thread starter Buzz Bloom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary: Hi mfb:Thanks much.I did not know how to recover the text from edit history. Can you explain the procedure?Regards,BuzzNo. I don't see "history" at the bottom of my post, but thanks for the suggestion.BTW: I think what happened is that while I was editing I was using backspace to remove some text, and I'm guessing that I may have accidentally hit a special key, e.g. Ctrl, and that combination erased all my text in the edit area. I think it would be a useful feature to be able disable the functions that Ctrl (and other special keys) launch.That is a browser function
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Sorry. I lost the text of the post while trying to edit it. I will abandon this for a while.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This text? It is still in the edit history. Without quote tags so the source code is accessible:
--------------------------
I have just been reading
"A New Spin on the Origin of the Earth and Moon"
Astrobiology Oct 21, 2012
http://www.astrobio.net/topic/explo...new-spin-on-the-origin-of-the-earth-and-moon/ ,​
and found the following:
Many scientists believe that Earth itself emerged from a series of giant impacts. These impacts made the early Earth spin near its stability limit of about 2 hours per revolution.​

Can anyone confirm that a two hour Earth day at the approximate time of the Moon's origin is still recognized as a reasonable estimate by a substantial fraction of the scientific community?

ADDED

I just complete a calculation that shows the angular momentum for the Earth with a two hour day is greater than the total current angular momentum of the system. This mean that the two hour day must refer to the Earth before the Moon's origin. I read somewhere (I can't recover where now) that the Earth's day was about one-half of the current day when the Moon formed. Can anyone cite a recent reference that gives an estimate for the Earth length of day at the time of the Moon's origin?

ADDED
I found it.
From http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/moon-life-tides/
It all started some 4.5 billion years ago when, as theory has it, our nascent Earth was blindsided by a Mars-size planetary embryo, believed to have spun Earth into its initial fast rotation of roughly 12 hours per day.​

12 hours a day for the early spin is what I've read before, 2 hours is not and seems unlikely. That statement is anecdote & opinion though so take it with lots of grains of salt.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Hi mfb:

Thanks much.

I did not know how to recover the text from edit history. Can you explain the procedure?

Regards,
Buzz

If you start a post and leave the thread before posting, you can recover it by returning to that thread and clicking on the greyed out text at the bottom of the page.

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi mfb:

Thanks much.

I did not know how to recover the text from edit history. Can you explain the procedure?

Regards,
Buzz
Do you have a "history" entry at the bottom of the post (next to "report")? If not, it is probably available to mentors only.

mfb said:
Do you have a "history" entry at the bottom of the post (next to "report")? If not, it is probably available to mentors only.
Hi mfb:

No. I don't see "history" at the bottom of my post, but thanks for the suggestion.

BTW: I think what happened is that while I was editing I was using backspace to remove some text, and
I'm guessing that I may have accidentally hit a special key, e.g. Ctrl, and that combination erased all my text in the edit area. I think it would be a useful feature to be able disable the functions that Ctrl (and other special keys) launch.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
phinds said:
12 hours a day for the early spin is what I've read before, 2 hours is not and seems unlikely. That statement is anecdote & opinion though so take it with lots of grains of salt.
Hi phinds:

The text in the Sci Am article was ambiguous, but since it is impossible for the 2 hr day to be after the moon formed, do you think it is also unlikely to be the Earth's day before the Moon formed? If so, do you interpret this article as evidence that Sci Am is not a reliable source of scientific information?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi phinds:

The text in the Sci Am article was ambiguous, but since it is impossible for the 2 hr day to be after the moon formed, do you think it is also unlikely to be the Earth's day before the Moon formed? If so, do you interpret this article as evidence that Sci Am is not a reliable source of scientific information?

Regards,
Buzz
Those are both inferences that I'm not willing to go to. They could be right, but I don't know that.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Buzz Bloom said:
BTW: I think what happened is that while I was editing I was using backspace to remove some text, and
I'm guessing that I may have accidentally hit a special key, e.g. Ctrl, and that combination erased all my text in the edit area. I think it would be a useful feature to be able disable the functions that Ctrl (and other special keys) launch.
That is a browser function, the forum does not mess around with native browser functions. Ctrl+Z reverts whatever you did last in most browsers.

Back to topic:
The 2 hour day sounds weird both before and after impact.

Likes Buzz Bloom
There are also numerous browser addons that make it effortless ( 2 clicks) to recover your "lost" work. For example on Firefox, or most Mozilla -based browsers I am using Lazarus.

Related to Early Earth: A Rapid Spin Through History

1. What is "Early Earth: A Rapid Spin Through History"?

"Early Earth: A Rapid Spin Through History" is a scientific concept that describes the formation and evolution of the Earth billions of years ago. It includes theories and evidence from various fields such as geology, astronomy, and biology to understand the processes that shaped our planet in its early stages.

2. How old is the Earth?

The Earth is estimated to be around 4.54 billion years old. This age is determined by radiometric dating of rocks and meteorites and is supported by evidence from various scientific fields.

3. What was the early atmosphere of Earth like?

The early atmosphere of Earth was very different from what it is today. It consisted primarily of gases such as methane, ammonia, water vapor, and carbon dioxide. There was also no oxygen present in the atmosphere until the emergence of photosynthetic organisms around 3.5 billion years ago.

4. How did life originate on early Earth?

The exact origin of life on Earth is still a mystery, but scientists have proposed several theories. One theory suggests that simple organic molecules formed in the early oceans and combined to form more complex molecules, eventually leading to the first living cells. Another theory suggests that life may have originated from chemical reactions in hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor.

5. How did the continents form on early Earth?

The continents on early Earth formed through a process called plate tectonics. This involves the movement of large pieces of the Earth's crust, called tectonic plates, which collide, separate, and move over time. Through this process, the continents formed and changed shape over millions of years.