Earth System Science & Environmental Engineering

In summary, Earth System Science is an interdisciplinary field that studies the complex interactions between the Earth's physical, chemical, and biological systems. Environmental Engineering is the application of scientific and engineering principles to protect and improve the natural environment. These two fields are closely related and work together to address environmental issues and develop sustainable solutions. Some real-world applications of Earth System Science and Environmental Engineering include studying and mitigating the effects of climate change, developing renewable energy sources, and managing pollution. Strong skills in math, science, and engineering, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication, are necessary for a career in this field. A passion for environmental sustainability and a desire to make a positive impact are also beneficial.
jra_1574
Hey everyone!

First of all, Happy Holidays...

Now I'm still unsure about my major at all..
I'm currently studying EE at City College of New York... As you know more engineering major you start with your general courses, liberal arts and electives... I did all my sciences, math and finishing up some of my electives (which i take to be Engineering electives, and many of them are transferable among Engineering major)... I saw a new major it is Earth System Science & Environmental Engineering .. they offered a Bachelor in that, but i think about it... and at the end, when i get to graduate.. what am i be working as with such a degree? I think about it and EE is not for me at all...
i need some suggestions, advices, guides or any good/bad comment of what you all think..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Happy Holidays to you as well! I understand the importance of finding a major that you are passionate about and that aligns with your career goals. It's great that you are considering different options and exploring new majors.

Earth System Science & Environmental Engineering is a growing field that combines principles from both Earth science and engineering to address environmental challenges. Graduates with this degree can pursue a variety of careers, such as environmental consulting, renewable energy, resource management, and more. With increasing concerns about climate change and sustainability, this field is becoming more important and in-demand.

I would suggest doing some research on the specific courses and career opportunities within this major to see if it aligns with your interests and goals. You can also reach out to current students or professionals in the field to get more insight and advice.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a major that you are passionate about and that will lead you to a fulfilling career. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process. Happy studying!

Related to Earth System Science & Environmental Engineering

What is Earth System Science?

Earth System Science is an interdisciplinary field of study that combines various scientific disciplines, such as geology, biology, chemistry, and physics, to understand the complex interactions between the Earth's physical, chemical, and biological systems.

What is Environmental Engineering?

Environmental Engineering is the application of scientific and engineering principles to protect and improve the natural environment. It involves identifying and solving environmental problems, such as pollution, waste management, and resource conservation.

How do Earth System Science and Environmental Engineering relate?

Earth System Science and Environmental Engineering are closely related as they both focus on understanding and managing the Earth's natural systems. Earth System Science provides the scientific foundation for Environmental Engineering to address environmental issues and develop sustainable solutions.

What are some examples of real-world applications of Earth System Science and Environmental Engineering?

Some examples of real-world applications of Earth System Science and Environmental Engineering include studying and mitigating the impacts of climate change, developing renewable energy sources, managing and treating water and air pollution, and designing sustainable urban infrastructure.

What skills are needed to pursue a career in Earth System Science and Environmental Engineering?

A strong background in math, science, and engineering is essential for a career in Earth System Science and Environmental Engineering. In addition, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are also important. A passion for environmental sustainability and a desire to make a positive impact on the planet are also beneficial.