Earth vs. Space Research: Which One Holds More Importance for Humanity?

In summary, space is a more likely destination for exploration than other planets because of its vast wealth of resources.
houlahound
If you could only choose one to research which would it be and why?

My priority would be Earth first then space based purely on personal interest. Of course I would like to see more about both.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'v always been amazed on how little we do to explore the depth of the oceans. I would be more curious about that than exploring other planets.

Likes Evo and houlahound
jack action said:
I'v always been amazed on how little we do to explore the depth of the oceans. I would be more curious about that than exploring other planets.

It's almost ironic that it's we can see perhaps a few hundred feet through water, but more than 40 billion light-years through space. o_O

Likes Evo
Space.

The oceans were the next frontier. Space is the final frontier.

We may not know a ton about what's deep under the ocean, but we're confident that there are no cities down there. I don't have the same confidence about all of the other planets in the Milky Way.

houlahound said:
If you could only choose one to research which would it be and why?

My priority would be Earth first then space based purely on personal interest. Of course I would like to see more about both.
Space. Definitely space.

Even just the solar systems has a vast wealth of useful metals and gases, which can be mined. The monetary value itself means space is the most likely next step.

From a science perspective, you can't hope to find out the secrets of the universe staring at deep water fish and geothermal vents.

From a mining perspective the ocean produces vast wealth, space consumes vast wealth and returns nothing except movie scripts.

Likes Evo
This is so incredibly vague. That said my answer is Earth. Because understanding how to live sustainably within our biosphere is not only incredibly important it's something you have to do anyway if you plan on pursuing the Space CadetTM dream of Domed Space CitiesTM at some point down the line.

Likes Evo
Good point, humans can't live on the same suburban block without someone going postal, how they going to live in a tin can indefinitely?

Likes Evo

Related to Earth vs. Space Research: Which One Holds More Importance for Humanity?

1. What is the purpose of Earth or space research?

The purpose of Earth or space research is to gain a better understanding of our planet and the universe beyond it. This research helps us to answer fundamental questions about the origin and evolution of Earth and the cosmos, as well as to develop new technologies and improve our daily lives.

2. How is Earth or space research conducted?

Earth or space research is conducted through various methods, including observation, data collection, experimentation, and analysis. Scientists use specialized tools and technologies such as telescopes, satellites, and rovers to gather data and study different phenomena. Collaboration between researchers from different disciplines is also essential for a comprehensive understanding of Earth and space.

3. What are some current areas of focus in Earth or space research?

Some current areas of focus in Earth or space research include climate change, planetary exploration, astrophysics, and astrobiology. Scientists are also studying the effects of human activities on the environment and searching for habitable exoplanets.

4. How does Earth or space research benefit society?

Earth or space research has numerous benefits for society. It helps us to better understand and predict natural phenomena, such as weather patterns and natural disasters, and to develop strategies to mitigate their impact. It also leads to technological advancements, such as GPS systems, satellite communication, and medical imaging technologies.

5. What are some challenges in Earth or space research?

Some challenges in Earth or space research include limited funding, technological limitations, and the vastness and complexity of the subjects being studied. Researchers also face ethical considerations, such as the potential impact of their work on the environment and how to responsibly explore and potentially colonize other planets.