(Easy) Question about how to sound more "mathematically"

• Thread starter Tizyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation is about how to mathematically say "put on the other side" of an integral when there is a constant involved. Some suggestions include writing it in symbols or explaining it in words, such as "v is a constant so it can be taken outside of the integration." It is also important to consider the context and audience in choosing the best way to convey this concept. Ultimately, the method used will depend on how the variable or number affects the equation.
Tizyo

Homework Statement

I am writing a mathematics paper and I would like to know how do you mathematically say "put on the other side" of the integral, I have a constant in the integral and I want to say that I'm putting it on the other side.

I attached a picture where I show with a arrow the constant "v" that i want to put on the other side. Is there a maths term for saying that, or how to sound more mathematically?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• sds.png
    sds.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on who your reader is. But something like '...and noting that ##v \neq v(t)##, me may rewrite the above like..'

But, depending on the context, the fact v is a constant may already be manifest in what you are trying to convey. So you could just write ##\int v \text{d}t = v\int \text{d}t## if the case or to an audience who could work it out themselves.

Likes 1 person
If you want to explain what you are doing in words, then " v is a constant so it can be taken outside of the integration " would be the best I can suggest (non- native english-speaking).
Perhaps " v does not depend on t, so: " would also qualify.

Likes 1 person
You are moving ##v## outside the integral.

BvU said:
If you want to explain what you are doing in words, then " v is a constant so it can be taken outside of the integration " would be the best I can suggest (non- native english-speaking).

As a native (American) English-speaker I would say "...outside of the integral". Otherwise, what you suggest is fine!

I have always thought that "move to the other side of the equation" should be abolished. What you actually do depends on how the variable or number affects the equation. If "x" is added to the rest of one side then you can subtract "x" from both sides of the equation. If "x" is multiplied by the rest of the side, you can divide "x" on both sides of the equation.

Are you absolutely sure that ##V## does not vary with ##t##?

HallsofIvy said:
I have always thought that "move to the other side of the equation" should be abolished. What you actually do depends on how the variable or number affects the equation. If "x" is added to the rest of one side then you can subtract "x" from both sides of the equation. If "x" is multiplied by the rest of the side, you can divide "x" on both sides of the equation.

So in this case, what would I do? :)

Follow jtbell and forgive him for thinking American is English is English :smile:

[edit] oops: him/her

Related to (Easy) Question about how to sound more "mathematically"

1. How can I improve my mathematical language?

To sound more mathematically, it is important to use precise and specific vocabulary. This means using terms like "integer" or "derivative" instead of more general terms like "number" or "change." Additionally, using symbols and equations can also enhance your mathematical language.

2. How can I make my explanations more clear and concise?

One way to improve clarity in mathematical explanations is to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help the audience understand each step and how they contribute to the overall solution. Also, using visual aids such as graphs, diagrams, or charts can help to convey information more concisely.

3. How do I sound more confident when discussing math?

Confidence in math often comes with practice and understanding of the concepts. One way to sound more confident is to make sure you fully understand the material before discussing it with others. Additionally, practicing explaining concepts to others can also boost confidence and help you sound more knowledgeable.

4. How can I incorporate real-world applications into my math discussions?

Math is used in various fields and industries, so it is important to understand and communicate its real-world applications. One way to do this is to research and provide examples of how the concepts being discussed are used in different contexts, such as engineering, economics, or science.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when discussing math?

One common mistake when discussing math is using vague or imprecise language. This can lead to confusion and misunderstandings. It is also important to avoid jumping to conclusions or making assumptions before fully understanding the problem at hand. Finally, be sure to double-check your calculations and equations for accuracy before presenting them to others.