Easy statics problem -- Block being hoisted by a pulley and rope

In summary, the FBD I drew showed that the force at a point A is 20lb when the block has 20lb of force and the cable has 20lb of tension. Additionally, I solved for the tension in the cable by replacing the fixed signs with their numbers and dividing thru.
Oxford365
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Snapshot.jpg

I drew a FBD about point A and came up with the two equations:
∑Fx=0 20sinθ - T-ab(cos70)=0
ΣFy =0 -20cosθ + T-ab(sin70) -20=0

My answer is not coming out so I either messed up on the FBD or the equations, some help would be appreciated. I'm on 3-10 by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to distinguish what your equations are about; what is the 20 ?
And with T - ab you mean Tab ?
How come W does not feature ? nor the 80 lb ? (lbf ?)

Easy statics problem ... which is why it belongs in the Intro Physics HW forum and not one of the technical engineering forums.

BvU said:
Hard to distinguish what your equations are about; what is the 20 ?
And with T - ab you mean Tab ?
How come W does not feature ? nor the 80 lb ? (lbf ?)
Yes that is what I mean. I figured the force at D is 20lb because the block has 20lb of force and the cable holding it has 20lb of tension so D would as well (same cable). So I tried to resolve that 20lbs into the x and y direction.

Sorry, only saw 3-11.
Equations look good. Must be the solution part. What do you do to solve $$
\quad 20\sin\theta = T_{AB}\sin(20^\circ) \\
\ 20+ 20 \cos\theta = T_{AB}\cos(20^\circ) \quad {\rm ? }$$

Oxford365 said:
I figured the force at D is 20lb because the block has 20lb of force and the cable holding it has 20lb of tension so D would as well (same cable).
So then your first equation was actually $$ F_c = F_f $$ where $$ F_c = 20 lbs. $$ So $$ F_f = 20 lbs. $$
You probably should have written that equation.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Sorry, only saw 3-11.
Equations look good. Must be the solution part. What do you do to solve $$
\quad 20\sin\theta = T_{AB}\sin(20^\circ) \\
\ 20+ 20 \cos\theta = T_{AB}\cos(20^\circ) \quad {\rm ? }$$
I just try solving like any other system of equations. 2 unknowns and 2 equations which is leaving me with funky answers.

What do you get if you solve for the extremes? Sin and cos vary between 0 and 1. You should be able to bracket your answer.

You might as well revise the equations to solve for Tab. Consider replacing the fixed signs with their numbers and divide thru.

Hint: you have a formula error... Sin is hypotenuse over the what? Cos is hypotenuse over the what?

hint2: one of the angles is taken from the horizontal x axis. The other is from the vertical y axis. How does this affect if you use sin or cos...

Last edited:
I figured it out guys, thanks for the help.

Oxford365 said:
And the answer is what? I got 31.32 with the fixed equations.

Last edited:
NickAtNight said:
And the answer is what? I got 31.32 with the fixed equations.

The angle is 40degrees and Tab=37.6lb

Really, I am getting degrees =34.91 and Tab 33.46? Original equation above did not divide by cos(20)

Hmmm, not very good at using Numbers on an iPad yet. Perhaps I should try it by hand.

Okay. got it. Tab = 37.6 and angle = 40.

Last edited:
BvU said:

Edit: Add in tension equation

Alternative solution. Rotate your x/y axis so that x is parallel to $$ T_{ab} $$

A-C is 20 degree angle from axis.
A-D is unknown angle

$$ F_ {ac} = F_{ad} $$

$$ F_{ac} cos \theta = F_{ad} cos (uk) $$
And therefore uk angle = theta.

And

$$ F_{ab} = F_{ac} sin \theta + F_{ad} sin (uk) $$

which reduces to

$$ F_{ab} = 2 * F_{ac} sin \theta $$
$$ F_{ab} = 2 * 20 sin (20 degrees) $$

Voila

Last edited:
Likes Oxford365

FAQ: Easy statics problem -- Block being hoisted by a pulley and rope

1. What is the purpose of this statics problem?

The purpose of this statics problem is to understand the principles of static equilibrium and how they apply to a simple system involving a block being hoisted by a pulley and rope. This problem also helps in developing problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze forces and their effects on objects.

2. What are the key components in this statics problem?

The key components in this statics problem are the block, the pulley, and the rope. These components interact with each other to create a system where forces are applied and balanced to maintain static equilibrium.

3. How do I approach solving this statics problem?

To solve this statics problem, you should first draw a free body diagram of the block showing all the forces acting on it. Then, apply the equations of static equilibrium to determine the unknown forces and their magnitudes. Finally, check your solution by ensuring that all forces are balanced in all directions.

4. What are the equations of static equilibrium?

The equations of static equilibrium are the sum of forces in the x-direction equals zero, the sum of forces in the y-direction equals zero, and the sum of moments about any point equals zero. These equations can be used to solve for unknown forces and ensure that the system is in static equilibrium.

5. How can I check my solution for this statics problem?

To check your solution for this statics problem, you should make sure that all forces are balanced in all directions and that the sum of moments about any point is equal to zero. Additionally, you can also use the equations of static equilibrium to verify your calculations and ensure that your solution is correct.

Back