EasyJet Flight: Rattling Gas Turbine (V2500)

In summary, the conversation involved a person experiencing a rattling and clicking noise coming from one of the engines on an easyjet flight. They were worried but the engine did not fail. There was a discussion about the possible causes of the noise, with the conclusion that it could have been a normal phenomenon or a sign of something more serious. It was also noted that the noise was heard before the engine spooled up and during the flight. The possibility of the noise being caused by the wind rotating the fan blades slowly was mentioned, as well as the synchronization of engine speeds. The conversation ended with the person clarifying that the noise during spool up was a separate issue and the rattling occurred during the flight.
bill nye scienceguy!
I was on an easyjet flight this morning and noticed a distinct and pronounced rattling, clicking noise coming from one of the engines. Not being a very good flier at the best of times (despite working in the aerospace sector) I was pretty worried. When the engines spooled up I was also sure I could feel a throbbing kind of vibration I wouldn't normally expect.

Clearly the engine didn't fail as I'm writing this now, but what could be the cause of the noise? Is there a genuine problem with the engine or is it a normal phenomenon I haven't encountered before? The airframe was an a320 and the engine I'm pretty sure was a v2500.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If it was anything catastrophic, the engine would have just torn itsself to bits. The words rattle, vibration and high speed rotation just don't go together.

The rattle and vibration could have been anything and your mind was playing tricks on you. It's the tendency of people who aren't good fliers to think the worst about a situation.

Are you sure the noise came from the engine itself?

There are a lot of things that could cause a rattling noise.

EDIT: Beaten by Chris

was the engine running or just rotating due to wind acting on the fan blades?

c.smith10 said:
was the engine running or just rotating due to wind acting on the fan blades?

Well given the flight took place, I'd hope it was running.

You say in your original post that the rattling was heard before the engine spooled up which is why i asked if the engine was running or not, if was running I am not sure what the noise was, if it wasn't running i would have a fair idea,

c.smith10 said:
You say in your original post that the rattling was heard before the engine spooled up which is why i asked if the engine was running or not, if was running I am not sure what the noise was, if it wasn't running i would have a fair idea,

The noise during spool up was a separate issue.

However, the rattling was during the flight.

At least that's how it reads.

If tha fan was being turned round slowly by the wind while you were walking up the steps to board the aircraft, a "rattling" noise is perfectly normal. The fan blades are slightly loose in the disk, and they "topple over" with a click when they pass the 12-o-clock position as they rotate.

This doesn't happen when the engine is running, because the radial accelerations on the blades are (literally) thousands of times the force of gravity and that holds the blades fixed.

Most likely the "throbbing" noise was caused by the engines not running at exactly the same speed. There is an electronic link between the two engine control systems that synchronizes the speeds to prevent this happening all the time, but it is often switched off until the engines are properly warmed up after a cold start, and also during takeoff and landing (because if one engine slows down because of some failure condition, you don't want the other engine to automatically do the same!)

Related to EasyJet Flight: Rattling Gas Turbine (V2500)

1. What caused the gas turbine to rattle on the EasyJet flight?

The most likely cause of the rattling gas turbine on the EasyJet flight was a malfunction or damage to one of the engine components. This could have been due to a number of factors, such as wear and tear, maintenance issues, or foreign object debris (e.g. birds) entering the engine.

2. Was the rattling gas turbine a safety concern for the passengers and crew?

While the rattling gas turbine may have caused concern for some passengers, it is important to note that modern aircraft engines are designed to withstand a certain level of vibration and can still operate safely. However, the flight crew likely communicated with the airline's maintenance team to assess the situation and ensure the safety of the flight.

3. How common are gas turbine malfunctions on commercial flights?

Gas turbine malfunctions on commercial flights are relatively rare, as modern aircraft engines are highly reliable and undergo strict maintenance and inspection protocols. However, when they do occur, pilots and maintenance crews are trained to handle them safely and efficiently.

4. Did the rattling gas turbine affect the flight's performance?

The extent to which the rattling gas turbine affected the flight's performance would depend on the severity of the issue and the actions taken by the flight crew and maintenance team. In some cases, the aircraft may have needed to reduce speed or altitude, but in most cases, the flight can continue safely to its destination.

5. What measures are taken to prevent gas turbine malfunctions on commercial flights?

To prevent gas turbine malfunctions, commercial airlines have strict maintenance and inspection protocols in place, and all aircraft engines undergo regular maintenance and testing. Pilots are also trained to monitor engine performance and respond appropriately to any indications of a malfunction. Additionally, airlines have contingency plans in place in case an issue does occur during a flight.