Eating Bland Foods: Sugar Cravings Explored

• Thread starter Bartholomew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sugar
In summary, sugar cravings can be caused by a lack of vitamins or a lack of complex carbohydrates in the diet.
Bartholomew
So recently I have been eating bland foods a lot. Whole wheat + peanut butter + water mostly, which is not bad. But I get... sugar cravings. Like now, when I have had no fruit or sugary drink for a few days, I crave sugar--iced tea, lemons, some kind of fruit. Wonder why. Surely there isn't any biological need for sugar.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need sugar, so yes there is a biological need.

You needs carbohydrates as well. Your brain needs it.

Yes, as Jason points out, you do indeed need sugar. Though, you may also be craving fruits for the vitamins you're lacking in the rest of your diet.

I love fruit and vegetables.

I'd rather have a fruit salad over fast food anyday. So gooooooddddd...

Your body can't make sugar from complex carbohydrates?

Vitamins. Poiheps. Haven't had a vitamin pill in a couple days.

Personally I also like vegetables and particularly fruits but I eat few of them because they are too low calorie and they bruise too easily.

Bartholomew said:
Your body can't make sugar from complex carbohydrates?

Vitamins. Poiheps. Haven't had a vitamin pill in a couple days.

It can, but not if you're not eating enough. If you eat a more balanced diet, you don't need vitamin pills.

I eat a lot, 3000 Calories many days. I'm not hungry for more complex carbohydrates, I'm hungry for fruit and sugar. I'd like a bottle of lemon juice right now, just to drink in a cup.

But you also burn a lot of calories in a day with all that biking. Anyway, if you're craving something as bizarre as lemon juice, I don't think it's the sugar you're craving, probably the vitamins. Any vitamin C in that diet of yours? Or are you working on becoming a scurvy pirate?

I eat cereal fortified with so many vitamins it's basically a vitamin pill per serving.

Now that you mention it, though, I did notice that my lower lip was split and bleeding yesterday morning when eating a sandwich (you see the drops of blood on the bread). Could be connected.

Or V8! I want V8 right now.

so why don't you take some?

Related to Eating Bland Foods: Sugar Cravings Explored

1. Why do we crave sugar even when we are eating bland foods?

Our bodies are naturally wired to crave sugar because it is a quick source of energy. When we eat bland foods, our bodies may not feel satisfied or energized, so we continue to crave sugar.

2. Can eating too many bland foods lead to sugar addiction?

While eating too many bland foods may contribute to sugar cravings, it is not the sole cause of sugar addiction. Other factors, such as genetics and lifestyle habits, can also contribute to sugar addiction.

3. How can I reduce my sugar cravings while eating bland foods?

One way to reduce sugar cravings while eating bland foods is to incorporate more protein and healthy fats into your meals. These foods will help keep you feeling full and satisfied, reducing the urge to reach for sugary snacks.

4. Will eating bland foods help me lose weight?

Eating bland foods alone may not necessarily lead to weight loss. It is important to have a well-rounded and balanced diet that includes a variety of nutritious foods. However, incorporating more bland foods into your diet may help reduce your overall calorie intake and contribute to weight loss.

5. Are there any health benefits to eating bland foods?

While bland foods may not be the most exciting or flavorful, they can have health benefits. Eating bland foods, such as oatmeal or steamed vegetables, can provide essential nutrients and fiber for a healthy digestive system and can also help control blood sugar levels.