Echo62's question at Yahoo Answers (Improper integral)

In summary, to evaluate the integral dx/(x^(2/3)) from -3 to 3, we can use the limit definition of an improper integral and the property of even functions to find the answer of 6√3.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How do I evaluate the integral dx/(x^(2/3)) from -3 to 3?

What I did was, so for the integrand f(x)=1/(x^(2/3)) it's only continuous from (0, infinity), it's discontinuous at x=0, so I set up the integral as the limit as b approaches 0 from the right of the same integrand, so my answer was 3*(3)^(1/3) but that's wrong. Please help me?

Here is a link to the question:

Improper integral help? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello echo62,

We have $$\begin{aligned}
\int_0^3\frac{dx}{x^{2/3}}&=\int_0^3x^{-2/3}dx\\&=\lim_{\epsilon \to 0^+}\int_{\epsilon}^3x^{-2/3}dx\\&=\lim_{\epsilon \to 0^+}\left[3x^{1/3}\right]_{\epsilon}^3\\&=3\lim_{\epsilon \to 0^+}(\sqrt [3]{3}-\sqrt [3]{\epsilon})\\&=3\sqrt [3]{3}\end{aligned}$$ On the other hand, using the transformation $x=-t$:
$$\begin{aligned}\int_{-3}^0\frac{dx}{x^{2/3}}&=\int_{3}^0\frac{-dt}{(-t)^{2/3}}\\&=\int_{0}^3\frac{dt}{t^{2/3}}\\&=\int_{0}^3\frac{dx}{x^{2/3}}
\end{aligned}$$ So, $$\int_{-3}^3\frac{dx}{x^{2/3}}=\int_{-3}^0\frac{dx}{x^{2/3}}+\int_0^3\frac{dx}{x^{2/3}}=2\int_0^3\frac{dx}{x^{2/3}}=\boxed{\;6\sqrt [3]{3}\;}$$

Last edited:

Related to Echo62's question at Yahoo Answers (Improper integral)

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or where the function being integrated is unbounded at one or more points in the interval of integration. This means that the integral cannot be evaluated in the traditional sense, and special techniques must be used to find its value.

2. How is an improper integral different from a regular integral?

Unlike a regular integral, which can be evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, an improper integral requires additional techniques, such as taking limits or using substitution, to find its value. Improper integrals also have different rules for convergence and divergence compared to regular integrals.

3. What are the types of improper integrals?

The two main types of improper integrals are Type I and Type II. Type I improper integrals have one or both limits of integration as infinite, while Type II improper integrals have a function that is unbounded at one or more points in the interval of integration.

4. How do you determine the convergence or divergence of an improper integral?

The convergence or divergence of an improper integral can be determined by evaluating the integral using the appropriate techniques and then taking the limit as the limits of integration approach infinity or as the unbounded function approaches a finite value. If the limit is a finite number, then the integral is said to converge. If the limit is infinite or does not exist, then the integral is said to diverge.

5. What are some real-world applications of improper integrals?

Improper integrals have many real-world applications, such as determining the total area under a curve that extends infinitely, calculating the volume of a solid with an infinite length, and finding the center of mass of an object with a non-uniform density. They are also used in probability and statistics, physics, and engineering.