Edit Post: No Longer Use Quote or Multi Quote?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary, you cannot add new quotes directly into the edit box via the forum interface, but you can add them as jtbell described, and you can also add them manually (by typing the quote tags).
DiracPool
If you want to edit your post, you can longer use quote or multi quote? You have to recreate the entire post from scratch? Am I right in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I want to add a quote to a post that I've just made:

1. Select the material that I want to quote, and click the "Reply" link that pops up. This puts the quote in the reply box at the bottom of the page.

2. In the reply box, select the quote (including the tags) and cut or copy it to the clipboard.

3. Click the "Edit" link on the post that I want to edit, then paste the quote into the editing box at the appropriate location.

DiracPool said:
If you want to edit your post, you can longer use quote or multi quote? You have to recreate the entire post from scratch? Am I right in this?

Nope. This is an example. I originally wrote "yes".

You cannot add new quotes directly into the edit box via the forum interface, but that is just a very abstract limitation. You can add them as jtbell described, and you can also add them manually (by typing the quote tags).

Ah...I get it. I was thinking that you meant quoting locked the edit function off. Instead you're saying you cannot add a new quote to an old message. That's correct - but I wouldn't call it a bug.

mfb said:
You cannot add new quotes directly into the edit box via the forum interface, but that is just a very abstract limitation.

Another abstract limitation seems to be the inability to edit a thread title. I made an embarrassing boo-boo in the computers and technology section and entitled a thread "Why do power supplies units blow" Obviously I meant to say "power supply units." I feverishly tried to edit it but to my horror there was no way to do this. Now my momentary lapse of reason will serve as a lasting legacy..

You can report it, then a mentor will change it.
Changing the title completely messes up the recognition of threads but fixing typos is no problem.

Likes DiracPool
mfb said:
You can report it, then a mentor will change it.
Changing the title completely messes up the recognition of threads but fixing typos is no problem.

Cool. Thanks for fixing that for me!

FAQ: Edit Post: No Longer Use Quote or Multi Quote?

1. What is the purpose of "Edit Post: No Longer Use Quote or Multi Quote?"

The purpose of "Edit Post: No Longer Use Quote or Multi Quote" is to inform users that the feature of quoting or multi-quoting has been removed from the post editing options.

2. Why was the feature of quoting or multi-quoting removed?

The feature of quoting or multi-quoting was removed to simplify the editing process and reduce clutter in the post editor. It also encourages users to use alternative methods of referencing or responding to previous posts, such as using @username or copy/pasting the relevant text.

3. Can I still quote or multi-quote in my posts?

No, the feature has been completely removed and is no longer available for use in posts. Users are encouraged to use alternative methods of referencing or responding to previous posts.

4. How can I reference or respond to a previous post without the quoting feature?

There are a few alternative methods to reference or respond to previous posts without using the quoting feature. You can use @username to mention the user you are responding to, or you can copy/paste the relevant text from the previous post into your own post.

5. Will the feature of quoting or multi-quoting be added back in the future?

There are currently no plans to add back the feature of quoting or multi-quoting. However, the platform is always evolving and new features may be added in the future based on user feedback and demand.