EE, BioE, Signals, and Research Projects

In summary, the speaker has switched from a BioE curriculum to an EE curriculum and still has a minor in BioE. They are interested in pursuing research related to BioE, specifically a project involving using signals generated in insect heads to detect landmines. They are wondering which courses would be most useful for this project, and are considering taking PDEs and neuroscience courses. The speaker is also not satisfied with their current university and is considering transferring, but may not be able to do so until after the fall. They are unsure if their question should be directed towards academic guidance or career guidance.
Illuminerdi
Hi, I have a lot of considerations here, but I'm not entirely sure where to start.

I switched from a BioE curriculum to an EE curriculum, recently, because most BioEs I knew were premed and I'd been worried about the curriculum not actually giving me any marketable skills, rather tons of sub-marketable skills. I still have a minor, because I fulfilled the course requirements for it in a semester. Nonetheless, I ultimately want to do BioE related research, but have made my concentration in EE signal processing (and imaging).

A professor I had in BioE not too long ago did a project for DARPA involving using signals generated in insect heads to smell landmines. I'd like to pursue this further and make it my senior design project and hopefully a master's thesis in a BA-MA track (a thing my school offers). Which courses are recommended to do this most efficiently? I already know probability, statistics, and stochastic processes; signals; DSP; circuit analysis (op-amps); are all courses I'll have by the time I start and are likely to be utilized, but I'm wondering if it's worth taking PDEs and maybe neuroscience courses, or anything else you could recommend.

But on another note, I'm not really satisfied with the University I'm in. I was not on a good time-table for transferring and have had personal and medical issues that got in the way (and enduring lawsuits, as well), and the University I'm at is...a bit mediocre. I only really entered here because the community college ran out of courses for me to take and I didn't have much time, but, if I do transfer, it will have to be after the fall, and most universities won't take the courses that I'd be taking in the fall, because they're too high up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, on another note, should this be in academic guidance or career guidance? It kind of overlaps.

Related to EE, BioE, Signals, and Research Projects

1. What is EE?

EE stands for Electrical Engineering. It is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems and devices such as computers, telecommunication systems, and power grids.

2. What is BioE?

BioE stands for Bioengineering. It is an interdisciplinary field that applies engineering principles to solve problems in biology and medicine. It involves the use of engineering techniques to design and develop solutions for healthcare, biomaterials, and medical devices.

3. What are signals in the context of engineering?

In engineering, a signal is a representation of a physical quantity or a set of data that carries information. It can be in the form of electrical voltage, current, sound waves, or digital data. Signals can be analyzed, processed, and transmitted to achieve a specific purpose, such as communication or control.

4. What is involved in a research project in the field of EE or BioE?

A research project in EE or BioE involves conducting a systematic investigation to answer a specific question or solve a problem related to the field. It typically includes literature review, hypothesis formulation, data collection and analysis, experimentation, and interpretation of results. The ultimate goal of a research project is to contribute new knowledge to the field and advance its understanding.

5. How can I get involved in research projects in EE or BioE?

There are several ways to get involved in research projects in EE or BioE. You can reach out to professors or researchers at universities or research institutions and express your interest. You can also apply for internships or research assistant positions. Networking with professionals in the field and attending conferences and workshops are also great ways to learn about research opportunities and get involved.