EE Course: Signals and Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of taking Signals and Systems over the summer without having taken Differential Equations first. The speaker shares their experience of taking Electric Circuits without DE knowledge and questions the usefulness of Signals and Systems for an upcoming internship. They also mention the possibility of the summer course being rushed and suggest taking it during a regular semester for a better education. The course is described as mathematical with practical applications in control, signal processing, and power electronics. Overall, it may be beneficial to have a background in linear systems for the internship.
Ryuk1990
Hi all, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have an opportunity to take Signals and Systems over the summer. However, I have not taken Differential Equations yet. A course on Electric Circuits is a prerequisite for this class and I ended up taking that last semester without any DE knowledge LOL! Luckily the first order and second order DEs we used in transient analysis weren't too ugly so I managed to get by with that.

I've heard Signals and Systems goes a lot more in depth with differential equations however. Would it be a bad idea to take this class without taking DE first?

I also have an internship over the summer. We deal with power electronics/inverter drives/electric machines. Would the material you learn in Signals and Systems be very helpful for my internship? Or is this class very mathematical instead of practical? I've heard some students state the class feels like a math class instead of an EE class.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to do well in a signals and systems course without taking a DE course. The signals and systems course only involves linear systems/linear differential equations (from my experience). You might be able to handle it just fine.

However, this might be an important course, and there is the potential for summer courses to perhaps be rushed or not cover as much. You might get a better education in signals and systems if you took it during a regular semester.

It's a mathematical class, but it has practical applications - in particular for control and signal processing, but the concepts may be useful in other areas as well. Fourier analysis might be useful for parts of power electronics such as filtering. The power electronics circuits are often nonlinear circuits with multiple states of operation, though. Knowledge of linear systems could be applied to control systems for electric machines perhaps.

Related to EE Course: Signals and Systems

1. What is the purpose of studying signals and systems?

The main purpose of studying signals and systems is to understand how information is represented, processed, and transmitted in various systems. This knowledge is essential for designing and analyzing systems in a wide range of fields, including communications, control systems, and signal processing.

2. What topics are typically covered in an EE course on signals and systems?

Some common topics covered in an EE course on signals and systems include time and frequency domain representations, linear systems, Fourier analysis, Laplace transforms, sampling and reconstruction, and filter design.

3. How are signals and systems used in real-world applications?

Signals and systems are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as audio and video processing, telecommunications, medical imaging, and control systems. They are also essential for technologies like wireless communication, radar, and sonar.

4. What are some common tools and techniques used in the study of signals and systems?

Some common tools and techniques used in the study of signals and systems include mathematical analysis, signal processing software, and simulation tools. Students may also use tools like oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and other lab equipment to visualize and analyze signals in real-time.

5. How does the study of signals and systems relate to other fields of engineering?

The study of signals and systems is closely related to other fields of engineering, such as electrical engineering, computer engineering, and mechanical engineering. It provides a foundation for understanding and designing complex systems, and many engineering courses and applications rely on the principles of signals and systems.