Effect of changing target metal to heavier metal in X-ray tube

In summary: As for the energy required to excite an electron from n=1 to n=infinity, this is a continuous spectrum and the exact value will depend on the specific energy levels and configuration of the atom. However, this does not affect the minimum wavelength. In summary, when the target metal is changed to a heavier metal in the X-ray tube, the minimum wavelength of the produced X-rays will remain unchanged. However, the wavelength of the characteristic lines will become smaller due to the increased number of electron shells in the heavier metal, making it more difficult for photons to eject inner shell electrons. It is important to understand the theory behind X-ray production in order to fully grasp the reason for this effect.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

when target metal is changed to heavier metal in X-ray tube, the min wavelength will not change. but the wavelength of the characteristics line will become smaller. my textbook gives me the above statement explaining much. can someone please explain it? thanks !

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, do you understand the process by which the X-rays are formed, and the difference between the Bremsstrahlung (braking or continuous radiation) and the characteristic X-ray peaks?

Fightfish said:
Firstly, do you understand the process by which the X-rays are formed, and the difference between the Bremsstrahlung (braking or continuous radiation) and the characteristic X-ray peaks?
i think i can understand it.. but can you explain when target metal is changed to heavier metal in X-ray tube, the min wavelength will not change. but the wavelength of the characteristics line will become smaller. why ?

Understanding the origin of the characteristic X-ray peaks will help you answer that question. What do the wavelengths of the characteristic X-ray peak(s) depend upon?

can i explain in this way?
we know that for diffraction to happen , the formula is d sin θ = m λ , as d(distance between atoms in metal) decreases (more closely packed) , the wavelength also decreases...?

Unfortunately the characteristic x-ray peaks have nothing to do with diffraction! They are due to the de-excitation of electrons from higher to lower energy levels when the inner shell electrons are ejected from the metal. That's why its important for you to understand the theory first before you can try to answer your qn.

Likes desmond iking
Fightfish said:
Unfortunately the characteristic x-ray peaks have nothing to do with diffraction! They are due to the de-excitation of electrons from higher to lower energy levels when the inner shell electrons are ejected from the metal. That's why its important for you to understand the theory first before you can try to answer your qn.
i mixed up diffraction and production of x-ray! by the way, can you please tell me when target metal is changed to heavier metal in X-ray tube, the min wavelength will not change. but the wavelength of the characteristics line will become smaller? i really can't think of the reason.

Desmond, I don't mean to sound rude, but you've been here sufficiently long to know the standard PF rules - we are supposed to guide you to the answer, and not provide it directly, especially if there is insufficient evidence of effort on your part to understand and tackle the problem.
The short answer to your question is that the characteristic lines are dependent on the species of the target material, in particular the difference between the energy levels. On the other hand, the minimum wavelength is dependent only on the voltage supplied to the X-ray tube.
I'll leave it to you to read up on the basic theory behind the operation of the X-ray tube, which can be found in most standard introductory level physics texts. If you run into any other queries while reading up about the theory, I'll be glad to help out.

c
Fightfish said:
Can I explain in this way? for the heavier metal , there are more shells in the metal , because the atoms are ore closely packed , therefore it's more difficult for the photon to knock off the electron in the inner shell , higher energy is needed for this to occur. thus from E= hc/ λ , when E increases , λ decreases.

desmond iking said:
for the heavier metal , there are more shells in the metal , because the atoms are ore closely packed, therefore it's more difficult for the photon to knock off the electron in the inner shell , higher energy is needed for this to occur. thus from E= hc/ λ , when E increases , λ decreases.
For the heavier metals, there are indeed more electron shells, but this has nothing to do with the atomic packing. Atomic packing depends on a lot of other factors, including the geometry of the atom, shielding effects and bonding. There are more electron shells simply because the atoms have more electrons. While it is true that it will certainly be more difficult for the photon to eject the inner shell electron, this simply reduces the rate at which these events occur.

Furthermore, the characteristic X-ray lines observed have nothing to do with the energy required to eject the inner shell electrons. Just think about it: this is an energy absorption process, but the characteristic lines are due to emission. Also, the energy spectrum absorbed by the electrons when they are ionized is continuous and not discrete.

The lines occur when an electron from a higher orbital de-excites into the empty orbital left behind by the ejected electron. So, really, please do go read up on the basic theory of X-ray production. If you don't have access to a relevant physics textbook, even Wikipedia does a relatively decent job of explaining it.

but why the λ min still remained unchanged? is it because of energy to excite n=1 to n= infinity shell remained unchanged? why is it so?

desmond iking said:
but why the λ min still remained unchanged? is it because of energy to excite n=1 to n= infinity shell remained unchanged? why is it so?
The minimum wavelength is related to the maximum energy of the photons that can be produced. Evidently, this depends on the energy that you supply to the system i.e. the voltage that you apply to the tube.

FAQ: Effect of changing target metal to heavier metal in X-ray tube

1. What is the purpose of changing the target metal in an X-ray tube?

The target metal in an X-ray tube is responsible for producing X-rays when bombarded by high-speed electrons. Changing the target metal can affect the intensity and quality of the X-rays produced, making it an important factor in X-ray tube design.

2. How does changing the target metal to a heavier metal affect the X-ray beam?

Changing the target metal to a heavier metal can increase the intensity of the X-ray beam. This is because heavier metals have a higher atomic number, which means they have more electrons available for interactions with the high-speed electrons, resulting in a higher production of X-rays.

3. Is there a limit to how heavy the target metal can be in an X-ray tube?

Yes, there is a limit to how heavy the target metal can be in an X-ray tube. This is because as the atomic number of the target metal increases, the energy of the X-rays produced also increases. If the energy becomes too high, it can be harmful to patients and can also damage the X-ray tube itself.

4. Are there any other factors besides atomic number that can affect the X-ray beam when changing the target metal?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the X-ray beam when changing the target metal. These include the physical properties of the metal, such as melting point and heat conductivity, which can affect the efficiency and lifespan of the X-ray tube.

5. How does changing the target metal to a heavier metal impact the cost of an X-ray tube?

Changing the target metal to a heavier metal can increase the cost of an X-ray tube. This is because heavier metals are typically more expensive and may require more complex manufacturing processes. Additionally, the higher energy X-rays produced may also require additional shielding and safety measures, adding to the overall cost.

Back