Effect of Downstream Pressure Fluctuations on Choked Mass Flow Rate

In summary, fluctuations in the downstream pressure do not affect the mass flow rate in a choked condition. The only way to increase mass flow in a choked section is by increasing pressure and density. The downstream pressure changes will not propagate upstream to the choked area, so they will not be seen. Choked flow is a complex concept that cannot be easily explained with simple analogies.
arhanbezbora
What would be the effect on a choked mass flow rate if there were fluctuations in the downstream pressure?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Downstream pressure has no affect on an upstream choked condition. The only way to increase mass flow in a choked section is to increase pressure and thus density.

I thought that wit chocked flow upstream pressure did not effect the flow rate?!

Here is a web-based flow rate calculator for various pipe sizes, lengths, head etc.
http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/pressuredrop/index.htm
If this doesn't work out, then try
http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
jaap de vries said:
I thought that wit chocked flow upstream pressure did not effect the flow rate?!
Upstream pressure will change the density and thus change the mass flow through the nozzle. An increase in pressure will not increase the velocity though. The downstream pressure changes will not be able to propagate upstream to the choked area so the downstream pressure change will never be seen by anything upstream.

Here's a quick read by a manufacturer of precision orifices...orifii...whatever
http://www.okcc.com/PDF/Choked Flow of Gases pg.48.pdf

arhanbezbora said:
What would be the effect on a choked mass flow rate if there were fluctuations in the downstream pressure?

Thanks

Many years ago my fluid flow professor had this to say when I indicated I couldn't understand how the flow would not increase when the downstream pressure was lowered. He said think of it this way; "It would IF it knew the pressure was lower but the pressure wave that tells it the pressure is lower only travels at the speed of sound so it never gets there to tell it!"
Frankly I have the hardest time telling welding enginers about "Choked Flow" as it related to a product I recently patented that saves shielding gas (see www.NetWelding.com[/url]) It is important since some folks sell a product that operates at a low pressure which doesn't use choked flow and the preset flow rate varies all over the placewith minor restriction changes that occur in production. I even wrote a technical paper for our Society's Journal ([PLAIN]http://files.aws.org/wj/2007/04/wj200704/wj0407-22.pdf ) without the math but it appears to me many folks don't like to think beyond what I cal the CNN 15 second answer to complex problems! Choked flow takes more than that. Electrical analogies don't work well.
Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Effect of Downstream Pressure Fluctuations on Choked Mass Flow Rate

1. What is meant by "choked mass flow rate"?

The choked mass flow rate refers to the maximum amount of mass that can flow through a restricted orifice or nozzle, when the flow velocity reaches the speed of sound. This is also known as the critical flow rate.

2. How do downstream pressure fluctuations affect the choked mass flow rate?

Downstream pressure fluctuations can lead to changes in the flow velocity and can cause the choked mass flow rate to deviate from its maximum value. This is known as choked flow instability and can result in unpredictable flow behavior.

3. What causes downstream pressure fluctuations?

Downstream pressure fluctuations can be caused by various factors such as changes in the downstream pressure, flow disturbances, or changes in the upstream flow conditions. These fluctuations can also be affected by the geometry and design of the flow system.

4. How can the effect of downstream pressure fluctuations on choked mass flow rate be measured?

The effect of downstream pressure fluctuations on choked mass flow rate can be measured using various flow measurement techniques such as pressure sensors, flowmeters, orifice plates, or venturi tubes. These instruments can provide real-time data on the flow rate and pressure fluctuations.

5. What are the implications of downstream pressure fluctuations on industrial processes?

Downstream pressure fluctuations can have a significant impact on industrial processes that involve choked flow, such as gas pipelines, chemical reactors, and control valves. These fluctuations can affect the accuracy and stability of the process, leading to potential safety hazards and operational inefficiencies.