Effect of Earth's B field on an e/m experiment

In summary, the Earth's magnetic field can have a significant impact on an e/m experiment, which measures the ratio of an electron's charge to its mass. The Earth's magnetic field can cause the electron beam to deflect, resulting in inaccurate measurements. To mitigate this effect, scientists must carefully align the experiment's orientation with the Earth's magnetic field or use shields to block its influence. Additionally, researchers must take into account the Earth's magnetic field when analyzing data from e/m experiments, as it can affect the observed results. Overall, the Earth's magnetic field is an important factor to consider when conducting e/m experiments to ensure accurate and reliable results.
omicgavp
I am doing an experiment to measure the charge to mass ratio of an electron. And I have found the method suggested by Thompson to account for the effect of the Earth's magnetic field[http://ajp.aapt.org/resource/1/ajpias/v58/i10/p1019_s1?isAuthorized=no" ]. But it only gives the equation, i.e. B_total=B_coils+B_earth, when the Earth's B field is (anti)parallel to the field from the coils. How about when the Earth's B field is oriented at an angle to the B field from the coils? Can you suggest journals or textbook references that mentions this case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
omicgavp said:
How about when the Earth's B field is oriented at an angle to the B field from the coils?

The magnetic field [itex]\vec B[/itex] is a vector quantity. Do you know how to add vectors?

jtbell said:
The magnetic field [itex]\vec B[/itex] is a vector quantity. Do you know how to add vectors?
If I solve for the vector sum of B_earth and B_coils, I would obtain a different direction for the total magnetic field which is contrary to that of the supposed circular path of the e- beam, i.e. B_total should be perpendicular to both F_m and v.

When B is not perpendicular to v, you don't get a circular path. Think of v as having components perpendicular and parallel to B. The perpendicular component of v tends to produce circular motion, but the parallel component of v "carries" this circular motion along the direction of B, so you get a helical path whose axis is parallel to B. See this page for example:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/node73.html

He calls the path a "spiral" which I consider to be incorrect terminology. To me, a "spiral" has a steadily decreasing radius so the path "shrinks" towards the center. And his picture looks more like a sine-wave than a spiral, but that's surely merely a matter of the crudeness of the drawing.

A while ago, I made an animation showing the helicoidal motion of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field (when B is not perpendicular to v):

http://bestphysicsvideos.blogspot.com/2011/01/charged-particle-in-magnetic-field.html

Hope this helps.

jtbell said:
When B is not perpendicular to v, you don't get a circular path. Think of v as having components perpendicular and parallel to B. The perpendicular component of v tends to produce circular motion, but the parallel component of v "carries" this circular motion along the direction of B, so you get a helical path whose axis is parallel to B. See this page for example:

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/302l/lectures/node73.html

He calls the path a "spiral" which I consider to be incorrect terminology. To me, a "spiral" has a steadily decreasing radius so the path "shrinks" towards the center. And his picture looks more like a sine-wave than a spiral, but that's surely merely a matter of the crudeness of the drawing.

Related to Effect of Earth's B field on an e/m experiment

1. How does Earth's magnetic field affect an e/m experiment?

The Earth's magnetic field can affect an e/m experiment by exerting a force on the charged particles being measured. This force can cause the particles to deviate from their expected path and can impact the accuracy of the experiment.

2. Can the Earth's magnetic field be eliminated or controlled in an e/m experiment?

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field can be eliminated or controlled in an e/m experiment by using a magnetic shield or by conducting the experiment in a controlled environment such as a vacuum chamber.

3. Does the strength of the Earth's magnetic field have an impact on the results of an e/m experiment?

Yes, the strength of the Earth's magnetic field can have an impact on the results of an e/m experiment. If the field is stronger, it can cause a greater deviation in the particles and can result in a larger margin of error in the measurements.

4. How can the effects of the Earth's magnetic field be accounted for in an e/m experiment?

The effects of the Earth's magnetic field can be accounted for by using mathematical calculations to correct for the deviation caused by the field. This can be done by measuring the strength and direction of the field and incorporating it into the analysis of the experiment.

5. Are there any other external factors that can affect an e/m experiment?

Yes, there are other external factors that can affect an e/m experiment, such as electromagnetic interference from nearby electronics or the presence of other magnetic fields. These factors should also be accounted for and controlled in order to ensure accurate results.