Effect of pointcharges on electric dipole in an equilateral triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of two particles of charge q at two vertices of an equilateral triangle, with an electric dipole placed at the third vertex. The experts determine the magnitude of the torque on the dipole due to the electric field from the two point charges, and they also discuss the magnitude and direction of the translational force on the dipole using F=-∇U and potential energy U=-p.E. Finally, they calculate the magnitude of the electric field from the dipole at the position of one of the charges, taking into account the dipole's radial and equatorial components. There is some confusion about the direction of the resultant electric field and the magnitude of the torque, but it is determined that the
ppy
2 particles of charge q are placed at 2 vertices of an equilateral triangle of side a. An electric dipole is placed at the third vertex with its dipole moment orientated parallel to the opposite side of the triangle.

a) Determine the magnitude of the torque on the dipole due to the electric field from the 2 point charges?

b) Using F=-∇U where U=-p.E is the potential energy of a dipole moment p in an electric field E determine the magnitude and the direction of the translational force on the dipole due to the electric field from the 2 point charges.

c) Determine the magnitude of the electric field from the dipole at the position of one of the charges

This is what I have however I am very confused.
a) [itex]\tau[/itex]=pxE=pEsinθ

For 1 point charge E=q/4[itex]\pi[/itex]ε[itex]_{0}[/itex]a[itex]^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\tau[/itex]=2pqsin(45)/4[itex]\pi[/itex]ε[itex]_{0}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]pq/4[itex]\pi[/itex]ε[itex]_{0}[/itex]

I thought the 2 is needed because you have the 2 point charges of charge q however I don't know can you just add them as it is a magnitude

c) I know that the electric field for a dipole is ([itex]\frac{2pcosθ}{4\piε_{0}}[/itex]r[itex]^{3}[/itex], [itex]\frac{psinθ}{4\piε_{0}}[/itex]r[itex]^{3}[/itex], 0) in spherical polars.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, determine the 'resultant' field at the vertex due to the two charges (vector addition of both the fields- the direction of the resultant field will come out to be upwards, i.e, perpendicular to the base and try to find the magnitude yourself). Now use the formula for torque.

For the last question, resolve the field due to dipole as radial and equatorial - as shown in the diagram. Use the formula for the components.

Attachments

• Dipole.jpg
    Dipole.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 700
Adithyan said:
First, determine the 'resultant' field at the vertex due to the two charges (vector addition of both the fields- the direction of the resultant field will come out to be upwards, i.e, perpendicular to the base and try to find the magnitude yourself). Now use the formula for torque.

For the last question, resolve the field due to dipole as radial and equatorial - as shown in the diagram. Use the formula for the components.

so is the resultant electric field [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}q}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex] in the perpendicular direction to the base and therefore the magnitude of the torque is pEsinθ=[itex]\frac{pq}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex] ?

What about for b) ?

ppy said:
so is the resultant electric field [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}q}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex] in the perpendicular direction to the base and therefore the magnitude of the torque is pEsinθ=[itex]\frac{pq}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex] ?

No, the resultant is [itex]\frac{q}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex] and the magnitude of torque is [itex]\frac{pq}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex].

What about for b) ?

I can't really understand the significance of the question. The question asks for the direction of force using potential energy whereas the translational force on a dipole is zero (equal magnitude and opposite charged particles).

(By the way, F=-du/dr)

Adithyan said:
No, the resultant is [itex]\frac{q}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex] and the magnitude of torque is [itex]\frac{pq}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex].

I can't really understand the significance of the question. The question asks for the direction of force using potential energy whereas the translational force on a dipole is zero (equal magnitude and opposite charged particles).

(By the way, F=-du/dr)

Thankyou for the reply

I thought for a) the electric fields in the x direction will cancel but the electric field for the y direction will be [itex]\frac{qsin(45)}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\sqrt{2}q}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex] for one point charge and therefore twice this for 2 point charges as the y components are in the same direction. What am I doing wrong? Then when we calculate the torque=pEsinθ=pEsin(45)=[itex]\frac{pq}{4\piε_{0}a^{2}}[/itex]

Why is my resultant electric field incorrect?

Θ=90 sinΘ=1

Attachments

• dipole 2.jpg
    dipole 2.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 754

Related to Effect of pointcharges on electric dipole in an equilateral triangle

1. How does the presence of point charges affect the electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle?

The electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle is affected by the magnitude and direction of the point charges. When the charges are equal and opposite, the dipole moment is zero. If the charges are unequal, the dipole moment will be non-zero and will depend on the distance between the charges.

2. Can the electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle be controlled by changing the location of the point charges?

Yes, the electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle can be controlled by changing the location of the point charges. The dipole moment is directly proportional to the distance between the charges, so by changing their location, the dipole moment can be increased or decreased.

3. How does the angle between the point charges affect the electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle?

The angle between the point charges does not affect the electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle. As long as the charges are equal and opposite, the dipole moment will be zero regardless of the angle between them.

4. How does the presence of other charges in the surrounding affect the electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle?

The presence of other charges in the surrounding can affect the electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle. If there are additional charges present, the dipole moment may change in magnitude or direction due to the electric fields created by the surrounding charges.

5. Is the electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle a vector or scalar quantity?

The electric dipole moment in an equilateral triangle is a vector quantity, as it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the dipole moment is from the negative charge to the positive charge.