Effect of spins on hydrogen atom ground state energy

In summary, Feynman seems to say that the energy difference is due to spins going from parallel (higher energy) to antiparallel (lower energy). However, hyperphysics says that the energy difference is due to spins going from parallel (higher energy) to antiparallel (lower energy) and also mentions that Zeeman splitting can contribute to this energy difference.
Physics news on Phys.org
The hyperphysics link does not work in my computer. Just an advice to make your post able to attract more comments, try to summarize or point out which part of those long texts that you are concerned with.

blue_leaf77 said:
try to summarize or point out which part of those long texts that you are concerned with.
The inconsistency is that hyperphysics says that the energy difference is due to spins going from parallel (higher energy) to antiparallel (lower energy) whereas according to Feynman antiparallel spins can be associated also with the higher energy. I don't see how hyperphysics can be correct if one considers also Zeeman splitting like Feynman does in the next section.

It seems that the link with hyperphysics is using a hand-waving argument to say that the upper level in the ground state of hydrogen is solely associated to parallel spins between proton and electron. The perturbation term in the one-electron hyperfine splitting is diagonalized by the eigenstates of the total angular momentum operator ##\mathbf{F}##, which is equal to the sum of the nucleus and electron individual angular momenta, ##\mathbf{F} = \mathbf{I}+\mathbf{L}+\mathbf{S}##. Therefore, each level in the hyperfine structure is assigned with the total angular momentum quantum number. For ground state, ##L=0## and ##\mathbf{F} = \mathbf{I}+\mathbf{S}##. As both proton and electron have spin one-half, the possible value of ##F## in the ground state is ##F=0,1##. ##F=1## is the upper level and ##F=0## is the lower level. The upper level with ##F=1## is further three-fold degenerate with ##m_F = -1,0,1## as usual. The state associated with ##|F=1,m_F=1\rangle## has both proton and electron in spin up, ##|F=1,m_F=-1\rangle## has both proton and electron in spin down, and ##|F=1,m_F=0\rangle## is a symmetric combination between electron spin up-proton spin down and the opposite. I guess it's this last state which that hyperphysics link has omitted and which Feynman's lecture referred to as "antiparallel spins can be associated also with the higher energy". The lower level with ##|F=0,m_F=0\rangle##, however, is not degenerate and is an anti-symmetric combination between electron spin up-proton spin down and the opposite.

Likes forcefield
blue_leaf77 said:
##|F=1,m_F=0\rangle## is a symmetric combination between electron spin up-proton spin down and the opposite. I guess it's this last state which that hyperphysics link has omitted and which Feynman's lecture referred to as "antiparallel spins can be associated also with the higher energy".
Thanks, I think your description is consistent with Feynman's although you are using a slightly different notation. Also, your quoted text above is my summary of what Feynman actually said.

Related to Effect of spins on hydrogen atom ground state energy

1. How do spins affect the hydrogen atom ground state energy?

The spin of an electron in a hydrogen atom can affect its ground state energy. This is because the spin of an electron determines its intrinsic angular momentum, which can interact with the magnetic field created by the nucleus, leading to a shift in the energy levels of the atom.

2. Does the spin of the nucleus also play a role in the ground state energy of hydrogen?

Yes, the spin of the nucleus can also affect the ground state energy of hydrogen. The spin of the nucleus can interact with the spin of the electron, resulting in a hyperfine structure splitting of the energy levels in the atom.

3. How is the spin of an electron quantized in a hydrogen atom?

The spin of an electron in a hydrogen atom is quantized, meaning it can only have certain discrete values. This is due to the fundamental nature of particles, as described by quantum mechanics. The spin can have a value of either +1/2 or -1/2, and this is what gives rise to the different energy levels in the atom.

4. Can the spin of an electron in a hydrogen atom be changed?

Yes, the spin of an electron in a hydrogen atom can be changed through certain interactions, such as collisions with other particles or exposure to magnetic fields. However, the spin of an electron is an inherent property of the particle and cannot be changed by external forces.

5. How does the spin of an electron affect the chemical properties of hydrogen?

The spin of an electron in a hydrogen atom does not significantly affect its chemical properties. This is because the spin is a quantum mechanical property that does not directly relate to the chemical behavior of an atom. However, the spin can indirectly affect the properties of molecules that contain hydrogen atoms, as it can influence the bonding and structure of these molecules.