Effective operator and allowed loop level interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of certain processes occurring via loops rather than at the tree level, specifically the decay of a colored triplet scalar to a pair of photons. The question is whether this process can occur and if there is a condition for a process to be allowed at the loop level. The response suggests looking into effective field theory and checking if the proposed model can generate the necessary operators. The cited paper discusses the calculation for the decay of the Higgs to a pair of photons in the context of the Standard Model and its extensions.
Safinaz
Hi all,

Some processes can not happen at the tree level, but it happen via loops, like for Higgs decay to pair of glouns or pair of photons, (h -> gg), (h -> y y) . For instance, effectively h -> gg written as ##~ h~ G^a_{\mu\nu} G_a^{\mu\nu}~ ## which is Lorentz and gauge invariant ..
Now if we considered instead of SM- h, a coloured triplet scalar, T= (3,2), then on the loop level i could mediate this decay ## T^0 \to yy ## by a loop of charged SU(3) triplet scalars ## T^\pm ## such that the coluor will be conserved in that process, but still effectively there is no an operator as ## T^a B_{\mu\nu} B^{\mu\nu} ## (where a is the SU(3) index) because it is not gauge invariant,

The question can this process happen or no ?
In short, is it a condition for a process to be allowed on the loop level to has an effective operator or it's just sufficient that for this process to conserve colour or charge via loop mediator ?

Best.

Dear safinaz,

Please see http://arxiv.org/abs/1505.02646.

The operator h G^a_munu G_a^munu is not gauge invariant. The Higgs is part of a double and is charged under su(2). The correct operator has H^dag H before the field strengths, this operator leads to an interaction of the sort you write with Wilson coefficients and vev there too.

The operators arise when you integrate out degrees of freedom. If the fields you have in mind generate the correct operator then yes, the interactions can occur. But they have to be possible (at tree or loop level) in the full theory.

The gauge invariant operator you say that does not exist is, indeed does and is listed in the class 4 operators in the paper I cited.

I suggest some lectures on effective field theory, try those by manohar as an example.

Likes Safinaz
Hello,

RGevo said:
The operator ## h G^a_{\mu\nu} G_a^{\mu\nu} ## is not gauge invariant. The Higgs is part of a double and is charged under su(2).

I meant by "h" here the SU(2) singlet (after SU(2) symmetry breaking and acquiring vev ), so that the couplings here as you said will be of dimension mass to be re-normalizable term. Also i meant by being gauge invariant that it's now singlet under SU(2), and ( 8 ## \otimes ## 8 = 1 )
under SU(3).

RGevo said:
The operators arise when you integrate out degrees of freedom.

Do you mean by integrating out degrees of freedom: like in##~ H^\dagger ~H~ G^a_{\mu \nu} G_a^{\mu \nu} ##, when the Higgs fileds acquire vevs. and we got at last an operator : ## v~ h G^a_{\mu \nu} G_a^{\mu \nu} ## ?

If I take that for the operator I'm looking for, consider: ## S_a^\dagger ~S^a B_{\mu \nu} B^{\mu \nu} ##, where S is ## (8,2,1/2) ## colored scalar. So it's doublet under SU(2) like SM Higgs, but it dosn't acquire vev. at SSB., so that we can't get an operator as:
## v~ s^a B_{\mu \nu} B^{\mu \nu} ## (s^a now in a neutral scalar, singlet under SU(2)). Also it's not SU(3) invariant because there is a loss SU(3) index "a"

RGevo said:

Thanks for the reference, but i can't find coloured scalars contributions to the effective operators of ## h \to \gamma \gamma ##, is it talking only in the domain of the SM ..

Safinaz said:
Hello,
I meant by "h" here the SU(2) singlet (after SU(2) symmetry breaking and acquiring vev ), so that the couplings here as you said will be of dimension mass to be re-normalizable term. Also i meant by being gauge invariant that it's now singlet under SU(2), and ( 8 ## \otimes ## 8 = 1 )
under SU(3).

I know what you meant. You want to expand around the VEV in the broken phase of the theory, where a combination of the Higgs doublet H (charged under SU2) and another doublet field also charged under SU2 generates a gauge invariant interactions which contain the field h. But my point is that you should consider the operators of the quark doublets, Higgs doublets etc. or else you will write down interactions which can't actually be generated in a gauge invariant way.

Do you mean by integrating out degrees of freedom: like in##~ H^\dagger ~H~ G^a_{\mu \nu} G_a^{\mu \nu} ##, when the Higgs fileds acquire vevs. and we got at last an operator : ## v~ h G^a_{\mu \nu} G_a^{\mu \nu} ## ?

The Higgs paper I cited does the calculation for H->gamma gamma generically in the dimension-6 baryon number conserving EFT up to one-loop. Therefore, the calculation involve the operators which enter the tree level expression in the EFT, as well as the one-loop contributions.

Consequently, if you have an idea of a BSM theory which can generate any of these operators (appearing in either the tree-level or the loop-level result), then your theory will alter this rate.

Therefore, the job which you have is to check whether your model does generate these interactions.

You should note that ONLY BSM physics generates these operators, since the calculation is performed in the full SM appended by the operators. Since you have some idea for new physics (a new Scalar with ## (8,2,1/2) ## +...etc.), if you write down the possible interactions it has with SM particles, then it should be easier for you to see what operators it will generate.

If I take that for the operator I'm looking for, consider: ## S_a^\dagger ~S^a B_{\mu \nu} B^{\mu \nu} ##, where S is ## (8,2,1/2) ## colored scalar. So it's doublet under SU(2) like SM Higgs, but it dosn't acquire vev. at SSB., so that we can't get an operator as:
## v~ s^a B_{\mu \nu} B^{\mu \nu} ## (s^a now in a neutral scalar, singlet under SU(2)). Also it's not SU(3) invariant because there is a loss SU(3) index "a"

Thanks for the reference, but i can't find coloured scalars contributions to the effective operators of ## h \to \gamma \gamma ##, is it talking only in the domain of the SM ..

As mentioned above, that's because its in the effective theory of operators involving SM fields. YOU must figure out which operators your particular theory generates.

Edit: I can't see how you can generate the operator you need, since the only interaction I see working with SM fields is ## S_a^\dagger ~S^a H^\dagger ~H##. So have H-> SS, or some one-loop contributions to the higgs mass and wave function renormalisation... Do you agree?

Last edited:

Related to Effective operator and allowed loop level interactions

What is an effective operator?

An effective operator is a mathematical construct used in theoretical physics to describe the effects of interactions between particles. It represents the combined effect of all possible interactions between particles at a specific energy scale.

What is a loop level interaction?

A loop level interaction is an interaction between particles that occurs at a higher order in perturbation theory. This means that it is a more complex interaction that involves the exchange of virtual particles.

What are allowed loop level interactions?

Allowed loop level interactions are those that are allowed by the laws of physics and can be calculated using perturbation theory. These interactions are usually higher order and have smaller effects compared to tree level interactions.

How do effective operators and allowed loop level interactions relate to the Standard Model?

The Standard Model is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Effective operators and allowed loop level interactions are used in the Standard Model to describe the effects of higher order interactions that are not included in the basic theory.

Why are effective operators and allowed loop level interactions important in particle physics?

Effective operators and allowed loop level interactions are important because they help us understand the underlying principles and interactions of particles at different energy scales. They also play a crucial role in making predictions and calculations in particle physics experiments.