Efficiency of Electrical Conversion

In summary, the solar energy lab looked at how power flows through different parts of a circuit, measuring with three separate ammeters. We used four different modes and varied the irradiance and load. The overall efficiency was calculated by multiplying the discharging and consumption results by the PV power and then dividing by the combined PV and charging results.
says
I completed a solar energy lab, where we looked at power flows, which were represented through different parts of a circuit measured with 3 separate ammeters. We used four different modes and varied the irradiance and load.

only charging = energy from solar panel to circuit without battery switched on
charging + consumption = " " + battery switched on
discharging + consumption = some lights from solar panel switched off + battery switched on
only discharging = battery + solar panel switched off

I've had to calculate the overall efficiency of each setup too and have done so by:
[ (dis)charging + consumption ] / [ PV Power + (dis) charging ] = overall efficiency

I've attached the results to this thread, but I don't understand much about them and haven't been given any information about the theory behind it. If anyone could either point me in the direction of some literature, or help me answer the questions I have below I would very much appreciate it. Then I could interpret the data a bit better. :)

1) Why are only 2/4 (dis)charging results negative? The negative was a result of the current being negative, but I don't understand why 'only charging' and 'charging+consumption' had negative current, and 'discharging+consumption' and 'only discharging' had a positive current.

2) Is the overall efficiency different for each setup because of the battery using power generated by the solar panel? And because we changed the irradiance of the cell by switching some cells off?

Attachments

• Efficiency of electrical Conversion.jpg
    Efficiency of electrical Conversion.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 558
Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you post a diagram of your setup, including the power measurement components? Also, what is the difference between "discharging" and "consumption"? Is discharging just self-discharging of the battery?

Your terminology is counter-intuitive and confuses me. Is it possible that is the source of your uncertainty as well ?
says said:
only charging = energy from solar panel to circuit without battery switched on
I'd have thought "Charging" would refer to battery, so this would be panel to battery with circuit off.

charging + consumption = " " + battery switched on
Solar panel providing current for BOTH circuit AND charging battery??

discharging + consumption = some lights from solar panel switched off + battery switched on
Panel not keeping up with circuit so drawing some current from battery

only discharging = battery + solar panel switched off
If battery and solar panel are both switched off, from where does ANY current come ?

As Berkeman suggests, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Likes berkeman
I've attached a photo of the circuit to this message. Sorry, writing is in czech! :)

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 532
spotrebic = appliance
stridac = inverters

Ok, from what I understand now from reading a bit more about off-grid systems.

Charging = PV array is not powering anything
Charging + consumption = PV array is powering appliance
Discharging + consumption = PV array isn't totally irradiated, is still powering appliance
Only discharging = PV array isn't powering anything.

Ahh i see .

I'm sorry if my post seemed impolite , it never dawned on me English might be a second language for you.

The picture and your additional posts helped a lot, thank you !

I often anthropomorphize things and talk them through as if i were a circuit element - "what do i see from its perspective ?"
Your regulator seems central so i'll pick his perspective.

Usually one figures 'efficiency' as Output/Input

and since there's no irradiance metering shown of the light striking the solar cell
i'd say solar panel power is always an input to your regulator

and since inverter doesn't have a meter on its output side,
i'd say power to the inverter is always an output from your regulatorand since power sometimes flows from regulator to battery and sometimes the other way
i'd say battery power is sometimes an output from your regulator and sometimes an input to it, and sometimes zero(neither input nor output).

And i'd calculate efficiency of the regulator for each case as ∑Output(s) / ∑Inputs(s)

If you do have an irradiance meter or know the input to your lamps you can put a number on the solar panel too.

Likes berkeman
Thank you :)
output power = load, battery
input power = PV, battery
Now I just have to understand the distribution of power from the controller.
When discharging+consumption the battery and inverter (row 4, column 2 and 3) share an almost equal amount of power, and their signs are positive, while the PV has almost no power.
I assume this means the battery is outputting power to the controller, which in turn is distributing it to the inverter to power it, with small losses?

Related to Efficiency of Electrical Conversion

1. What is the efficiency of electrical conversion?

The efficiency of electrical conversion refers to the ratio of the output energy to the input energy in an electrical system. It is a measure of how effectively energy is converted from one form to another, such as from chemical energy to electrical energy.

2. How is the efficiency of electrical conversion calculated?

The efficiency of electrical conversion is calculated by dividing the output energy by the input energy and multiplying by 100% to get a percentage. This calculation takes into account any losses or inefficiencies in the conversion process.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of electrical conversion?

The efficiency of electrical conversion can be affected by various factors, including the type of energy input, the type of energy output, the design and quality of the equipment used, and any external factors such as temperature or environmental conditions.

4. Why is it important to improve the efficiency of electrical conversion?

Improving the efficiency of electrical conversion can lead to several benefits, such as reducing energy waste, reducing costs, and increasing the sustainability of energy production. It also allows for more effective use of resources and can contribute to the overall efficiency of a system or process.

5. How can the efficiency of electrical conversion be improved?

The efficiency of electrical conversion can be improved through various methods, such as using more efficient equipment and technology, optimizing the design and operation of the system, and reducing energy losses through insulation or other measures. Regular maintenance and upgrades can also help improve efficiency over time.