Efficient AC Adapter Circuit for Battery-Powered Devices

In summary, the person is looking for a solution to switch between using an AC adapter and batteries for powering a circuit. A possible solution is to use a power socket with a built-in switch that disconnects the batteries when the adapter is plugged in. Another option is to use diodes to prioritize the AC adapter over the batteries. There are also ICs called 'supervisors' or 'power mux' that allow for switch-over between two power supplies with hysteresis.
Perfection
I'd like to stick an ac adapter onto a circuit such that when the adapter is plugged in it runs on the ac adapter, but when it isn't plugged in it runs on batteries. Anyone know of a quick elegant solution?

I'm sure these circuits get made all the time, but I can't seem to find any!

I'm sure I could come up with something, but I was wondering if there was a standard way of doing it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you can get small power sockets that have a switch in them.

This switch makes contact unless the AC adaptor is plugged in.

So, you have the battery positive connected through this switch and then to the centre input pin of the socket and then to the circuit.

When the AC plug is inserted, the switch opens and the battery is disconnected. Power just comes from the AC adaptor. This has to provide filtered DC, of course.

The negative leads are all joined together.

Unfortunately, I can't use that option. The specified adapter uses a USB mini plug.

You might be able to use a diode in series with each power source going to whatever the load is. If the voltage from the AC adapter is slightly higher than the batteries the adapter's diode will conduct in "preference" to the batteries'.

There are ICs called 'supervisors' (specifically, supervisors with battery switchover) which allow you to switch between two power supplies. They usually have a little hysteresis so they don't switch-over as soon as one voltage dips below the other.

I think they're also called a 'power mux' by some manufacturers, at least according to a TI datasheet I found on a quick Google search:
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tps2110.html

FAQ: Efficient AC Adapter Circuit for Battery-Powered Devices

1. What is a Quicky ac adapter circuit?

A Quicky ac adapter circuit is a type of electrical circuit that is designed to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) in a fast and efficient manner. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as laptops, smartphones, and other portable devices to charge their batteries.

2. How does a Quicky ac adapter circuit work?

A Quicky ac adapter circuit works by using a transformer to step down the voltage from the AC power source to a lower level. This lower voltage is then rectified to DC using diodes and filtered to smooth out the output. The resulting DC output is then used to charge the device's battery.

3. What are the advantages of using a Quicky ac adapter circuit?

One of the main advantages of using a Quicky ac adapter circuit is its speed. It is able to convert AC to DC quickly, allowing devices to charge at a faster rate. It is also compact and lightweight, making it convenient for travel and portability.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a Quicky ac adapter circuit?

One potential drawback of using a Quicky ac adapter circuit is that it may not be as efficient as other types of AC-DC converters. This can result in some energy loss and potential heat generation. Additionally, if the circuit is not designed properly, it can cause damage to the device being charged.

5. Can I build my own Quicky ac adapter circuit?

It is possible to build your own Quicky ac adapter circuit, but it requires a good understanding of electronics and circuit design. It is recommended to follow a reliable schematic or seek the assistance of a professional to ensure the circuit is safe and functional.