Efficiently Solving a Complex Integral: A Scientist's Approach

In summary, the problem was to calculate the antiderivative of the complex exponential, and after attempting it, it was found that the imaginary part was incorrect. The correct solution involves separating the real and imaginary parts and using the formula for integrating complex exponential functions.
dcl
Here is the problem:
[tex]{\mathop{\rm Im}\nolimits} \int {e^{x(2 + 3i)} } dx[/tex]

One sec, I'm having another go at it.
[tex]
= {\mathop{\rm Im}\nolimits} \int {e^2 } e^{3ix} dx[/tex]
[tex]
= {\mathop{\rm Im}\nolimits} \int {e^2 } [\cos (3x) + i\sin (3x)]dx
[/tex]
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
= \frac{{ - e^2 \cos (3t)}}{3} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

How'd I go?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not very well, I'm afraid..
Let us first consider the problem to calculate the antiderivative of the complex exponential,
[tex]\int{e}^{(2+3i)x)}dx[/tex]

This is simply:
[tex]\int{e}^{(2+3i)x)}dx=\frac{1}{2+3i}{e}^{(2+3i)x)}+C[/tex]

where C is an arbitrary complex constant (I'll set it in the following to 0, for simplicity)

We are to find the imaginary part:
[tex]Im(\frac{1}{2+3i}{e}^{(2+3i)x)})=Im(\frac{2-3i}{13}{e}^{(2+3i)x)})[/tex]
or:
[tex]Im(\frac{1}{2+3i}{e}^{(2+3i)x)})=\frac{e^{2x}}{13}(2\sin(3x)-3\cos(3x))[/tex]

[tex]e^{x(2+3i)} = e^{2x}e^{3xi} \neq e^{2}e^{3xi}[/tex]

It's easier than that. Remember that:

[tex]\int e^{ax} dx = \frac{1}{a}e^{ax} + C[/tex]

Once you integrate you then need to separate real from imaginary.

Last edited:
Stuffed up in the first step :(
Thanks guys. :)
prolly should goto bed now. :(

Related to Efficiently Solving a Complex Integral: A Scientist's Approach

1. How do you approach solving a complex integral?

To solve a complex integral, you need to first identify the type of integral it is (e.g. definite, indefinite, improper) and then apply the appropriate integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

2. What are some common challenges in solving complex integrals?

Some common challenges in solving complex integrals include identifying the correct integration technique to use, dealing with complex numbers and functions, and handling discontinuities or singularities in the integrand.

3. What is the role of contour integration in solving complex integrals?

Contour integration is a powerful technique that allows us to evaluate complex integrals by converting them into line integrals along a contour in the complex plane. This can often simplify the calculation and help us avoid difficult integration techniques.

4. How do you determine the convergence of a complex integral?

The convergence of a complex integral can be determined by applying the appropriate convergence tests such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, or the integral test. It is important to check for both absolute and conditional convergence.

5. Can complex integrals be solved using software or do they require manual calculation?

Complex integrals can be solved using software such as mathematical computing programs or graphing calculators. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind solving complex integrals in order to verify the results and understand any potential errors in the software calculation.