Effortless Equation Slides: Using LaTeX in OpenOffice Impress

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter rachmaninoff2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses options for getting LaTeX-typset equations into a slideshow in OpenOffice Impress. Some options include converting directly to an image using dvipng or dvigif, using the built-in math typesetting in Openoffice, or making a PDF presentation with latex. The conversation ends with a solution using dvipng to convert the equations to images.
rachmaninoff2
I'm mystified - what is the 'correct' proceedure for getting nice, LaTeX-typset equations into a slideshow (in this case, OpenOffice Impress)? This is what I've been doing:

TeX --> DVI --> PS --> GIMP --> copy & paste --> ooffice (as bmp)

It looks great, but I'm sure there's a way to save the effort?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use dvipng or dvigif to convert it directly to a image. Of course I'm on a linux machine, so I don't know if you have these.

The other option is to use the built-in math typesetting stuff in Openoffice.

Personally, I don't even bother with OO Impress. I just go from latex->pdf and that's my presentation. I use Texmacs as the frontend.

[edit] Here is dvipng for all platforms:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvipng/

Last edited:
Hurray!

dvipng -D 1000 -T tight filename.tex

Problems solved!

The built-in equation editor isn't flexible enough - hence LaTeX. Just making a PDF presentation is a very good idea, though not for this particular talk.

Related to Effortless Equation Slides: Using LaTeX in OpenOffice Impress

1. What is LaTeX and how is it different from traditional equation editors?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols. It is different from traditional equation editors in that it uses a markup language, rather than a graphical interface, to format equations. This allows for more precise control over the appearance of equations and makes it easier to create complex mathematical expressions.

2. Can I use LaTeX in OpenOffice Impress without any prior knowledge of the language?

Yes, you can use LaTeX in OpenOffice Impress without any prior knowledge of the language. OpenOffice Impress has a built-in LaTeX editor that allows you to input equations using a graphical interface, similar to traditional equation editors. This makes it easy for users who are not familiar with LaTeX to still create professional-looking equations.

3. Are there any advantages to using LaTeX in OpenOffice Impress?

There are several advantages to using LaTeX in OpenOffice Impress. Firstly, it allows for more precise control over the appearance of equations, making them look more professional and polished. Additionally, LaTeX has a wide range of mathematical symbols and expressions that are not available in traditional equation editors, giving users more flexibility in creating equations.

4. Can I import existing LaTeX code into OpenOffice Impress?

Yes, you can import existing LaTeX code into OpenOffice Impress. This is useful for users who are already familiar with LaTeX and want to use their own code in OpenOffice Impress. Simply copy and paste the code into the LaTeX editor in Impress, and the equation will be displayed in the slide.

5. Is there a limit to the number of equations I can include in one slide using LaTeX in OpenOffice Impress?

No, there is no limit to the number of equations you can include in one slide using LaTeX in OpenOffice Impress. You can add as many equations as you need, and they will all be displayed correctly on the slide. This makes it a great tool for creating presentations that involve a lot of mathematical content.