Egg Drop Design Challenge: Straws, Index Cards and Hot Glue

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a classic egg drop contraption using only plastic drinking straws, index cards, and hot glue. The contraption must be smaller than 4x4 inches, but can be as tall as desired. Ideas for the design are requested, with a suggestion to read existing threads on egg drops. The number of allowed straws is clarified and the potential for a prize is mentioned. It is noted that using more straws may make the contraption too easy, and a potential design using cut straws and index cards is proposed. The importance of keeping the contraption small and light for more points is emphasized.
njuice8
Hi, I have to make the classic egg drop contraption but we're only allowed to use plastic drinking straws, index cards, and hot glue.
the width also has to be smaller than 4x4 inches but it can be as tall as we want it to be (but preferably small)
and it has to have a door of some sort?
Anyone have any ideas for the design?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read the 135 existing threads (I counted) on egg drops? If not, that's a good start. If so, what ideas did that give you that you have questions about?

Will you donate part of your prize to PF if you win? :-p

njuice8 said:
we're only allowed to use plastic drinking straws
how many?

Vanadium 50 said:
Did you read the 135 existing threads (I counted) on egg drops? If not, that's a good start. If so, what ideas did that give you that you have questions about?

Hi, sorry I didn't check yet
But i'll check it right away!
Thanks for the tip :)

jtbell said:
Will you donate part of your prize to PF if you win? :-p

Haha I wish
But it's just a project for physics class :/

A.T. said:
how many?

We can use as many as we want

njuice8 said:
We can use as many as we want
That’s too easy.

A.T. said:
That’s too easy.

The thing is that the smaller and lighter it is, we get more points.
and the whole thing can't have a bigger width than 4x4inch which is pretty small...

njuice8 said:
The thing is that the smaller and lighter it is, we get more points.
and the whole thing can't have a bigger width than 4x4inch which is pretty small...

Cut the straws to 4inch and glue them like this:

dep_6946686-Gray-PVC-tubes-plastic-pipes-stacked-in-rows.jpg

You can build a tall 4x4x... block with the straws horizontal. Cut a round hole on top of the block for the egg. Use the cards as fins to stabilize it flight, so it doesn't flip.

Related to Egg Drop Design Challenge: Straws, Index Cards and Hot Glue

What is the Egg Drop Design Challenge?

The Egg Drop Design Challenge is an engineering challenge where participants have to design and build a contraption using only straws, index cards and hot glue that can protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height.

What materials are allowed for the Egg Drop Design Challenge?

The only materials allowed for the Egg Drop Design Challenge are straws, index cards and hot glue. No other materials can be used in the design or construction of the contraption.

What is the goal of the Egg Drop Design Challenge?

The goal of the Egg Drop Design Challenge is to create a contraption that can protect a raw egg from breaking when dropped from a certain height. This challenge tests participants' engineering skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities.

What are some tips for a successful Egg Drop Design Challenge?

Some tips for a successful Egg Drop Design Challenge include: starting with a strong and stable base, using multiple layers of protection for the egg, and testing the contraption at different heights before the final drop. It is also helpful to research different design ideas and techniques before starting the challenge.

How can the Egg Drop Design Challenge be modified for different age groups?

The Egg Drop Design Challenge can be modified for different age groups by adjusting the height from which the egg is dropped, the materials allowed, and the complexity of the contraption. For younger age groups, it may be helpful to provide more guidance and assistance, while older age groups can be given more freedom and independence in their designs.