Eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunction of a weird Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses a Hamiltonian with the form H = Aa^+a + B(a^+ + a) and asks for the eigenvalues and ground state wavefunction. The given conditions are that [a^+,a] = 1 and A > 0 and B are c-number constants. The conversation then suggests using the canonical convention for creation and annihilation operators, as well as defining new operators to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the question of how to use the translated operators.
Thunder_Jet
Hello again everyone!

I would like to ask a question regarding this Hamiltonian that I encountered. The form is H = Aa^+a + B(a^+ + a). Then there is this question asking for the eigenvalues and ground state wavefunction in the coordinate basis. The only given conditions are, the commutator of a^+ and a is [a^+,a] = 1, and that A > 0 and B are c-number constants. I actually do not understand the meaning of c-number constants. Can anyone suggest how to attack this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure? The canonical convention is that [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] is the destruction and [itex]\hat{a}^{\dagger}[/itex] the creation operator for phonons. Then the commutator should read [itex][\hat{a},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]=1[/itex]. What you have here, is simply a "shifted harmonic oscillator". This problem you find solved in many textbooks on quantum mechanics.

vanhees71 said:
Are you sure? The canonical convention is that [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] is the destruction and [itex]\hat{a}^{\dagger}[/itex] the creation operator for phonons. Then the commutator should read [itex][\hat{a},\hat{a}^{\dagger}]=1[/itex]. What you have here, is simply a "shifted harmonic oscillator". This problem you find solved in many textbooks on quantum mechanics.

Ok, so a and a^+ are the annihilation and creation operators in the harmonic oscillator problem. I thought there are other operators. Thanks for your comment! Anyway, in this shifted harmonic oscillator case, do you expect that the solution for example, the eigenvalues are just shifted by a constant? I think the same is true for the wavefunction.

May I know how can I obtain the eigenvalues using the usual eigenvalue problem here? I am quite confused here now.

Define new creation and annihilation operators
[tex]\tilde a = a+c[/tex]
[tex]\tilde a^\dagger = a^\dagger + c[/tex]
where [itex]c[/itex] is a real constant. Choose [itex]c[/itex] so that the hamiltonian is
[tex]H=A \tilde a^\dagger \tilde a + d[/tex]
where [itex]d[/itex] is another constant. Note that
[tex][\tilde a, \tilde a^\dagger]=1[/tex]

Avodyne said:
Define new creation and annihilation operators
[tex]\tilde a = a+c[/tex]
[tex]\tilde a^\dagger = a^\dagger + c[/tex]
where [itex]c[/itex] is a real constant. Choose [itex]c[/itex] so that the hamiltonian is
[tex]H=A \tilde a^\dagger \tilde a + d[/tex]
where [itex]d[/itex] is another constant. Note that
[tex][\tilde a, \tilde a^\dagger]=1[/tex]

Hmmm, sounds ok. Thank you for your suggestion. But I am really new to ladder operators, how would you use this translated a+ and a?

FAQ: Eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunction of a weird Hamiltonian

1. What are eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunctions?

Eigenvalues are the possible values that a quantum mechanical observable (such as energy) can take on for a particular system. Ground state eigenfunctions are the corresponding wave functions that describe the lowest possible energy state of the system.

2. What makes the Hamiltonian "weird"?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum mechanical system. A "weird" Hamiltonian refers to a non-standard or unconventional form of this operator, which may result in unique eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunctions.

3. How are eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunctions calculated for a weird Hamiltonian?

The calculation of eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunctions for a weird Hamiltonian typically involves solving a complex mathematical equation known as the Schrödinger equation. This equation takes into account the specific form of the Hamiltonian and yields the corresponding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions.

4. What is the significance of eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunctions in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunctions are essential in quantum mechanics as they provide information about the possible energy states of a system and the corresponding wave functions that describe those states. These values are used to predict the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

5. Can the eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunctions of a weird Hamiltonian be experimentally observed?

Yes, the eigenvalues and ground state eigenfunctions of a weird Hamiltonian can be experimentally observed through various techniques such as spectroscopy and scattering experiments. These values can also be used to make predictions about the behavior and properties of a system, which can be tested through experiments.

Back