Eigenvector eigenvalue proof problem

In summary: Furthermore, C will be a diagonal matrix since both λI and (B-I) are diagonal matrices. In summary, to prove that the eigenvectors are orthogonal relative to A and B, we can use the equations transpose(Xi)*A*Xj=0 and transpose(Xi)*B*Xj=0. If the eigenvectors are orthonormal relative to B, we can determine C as C = λI + (B-I) to satisfy the condition (C-λI)X=0.
iqjump123

Homework Statement

Let A and B be symmetric matrices and X is a vector in the eigenvalue problem
AX-λBX=0

a) Show that the eigenvectors are orthogonal relative to A and B.

b) If the eigenvectors are orthonormal relative to B , determine C such that (C-λI)X=0, where C is a diagonal matrix.

Homework Equations

Orthogonal eigenvectors: transpose(Xi)*A*(Xj)=0 and transpose(Xi)*B*Xj=0

Orthonormal eigenvectors: transpose(Xi)*B*Xj=I

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to extract out eigenvalues and eigenvectors from matrices when used to solve systems of equations, etc, but I don't know how I can use that to prove the theorem above. Should I try a set of random 2x2 numerical matrix and try to get values? An explanation of the problem and a basic starting step to complete this problem will be helpful.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) To show that the eigenvectors are orthogonal relative to A and B, we can use the following equations: transpose(Xi)*A*Xj=0 and transpose(Xi)*B*Xj=0. For any two eigenvectors Xi and Xj, these equations must be satisfied in order for the eigenvectors to be orthogonal relative to A and B. b) If the eigenvectors are orthonormal relative to B, then transpose(Xi)*B*Xj=I. Since B is a symmetric matrix, the eigenvalues of B must be real. Therefore, C can be determined as follows: C = λI + (B-I). This will ensure that (C-λI)X=0.

FAQ: Eigenvector eigenvalue proof problem

1. What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a square matrix, results in a scalar multiple of itself. In other words, the direction of the eigenvector does not change when multiplied by the matrix.

2. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is the scalar multiple that results when an eigenvector is multiplied by a square matrix. It represents the scaling factor by which the eigenvector is stretched or compressed.

3. What is the importance of eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, differential equations, and physics. They are used to solve various problems and analyze systems, such as determining stability and finding dominant modes of behavior.

4. How is the proof for eigenvector eigenvalue problem derived?

The proof for the eigenvector eigenvalue problem is derived using linear algebra techniques, specifically the properties of matrix multiplication and eigenvectors. The proof involves setting up a system of equations and solving for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. What are some real-world applications of the eigenvector eigenvalue problem?

The eigenvector eigenvalue problem has many applications in various fields, such as image and signal processing, data analysis, and quantum mechanics. For example, it can be used to analyze networks and identify important nodes, or to understand the behavior of systems with multiple interacting components.