Eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix)

In summary, the problem requires finding the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the matrix exp(iπσx/2), where σx is the x pauli matrix. Using knowledge of the matrix exponential, the problem can be broken down into two sums for even and odd values of n. It is clear that there are only two linearly independent eigenvectors for each sum. The eigenvectors must satisfy the equation exp(iπσx/2)v = Av, where A is the eigenvalue. The eigenvectors of σx are (1,1) and (1,-1).
Punctualchappo

Homework Statement

Find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of exp(iπσx/2) where σx is the x pauli matrix:

Homework Equations

I know that σxn = σx for odd n
I also know that σxn is for even n:

I also know that the exponential of a matrix is defined as Σ(1/n!)xn where the sum runs from n=0 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

Using knowledge of the matrix exponential, I can say that exp(iπσx/2) = Σ(1/n!)(iπσx/2)n. I can then split this into two sums, one for even n and one for odd n. This allows me to take the power off the matrices for easier summing. It's then that I get stuck. I've attached a file showing the two sums because it's easier and clearer to show you this way.[/B]

I'd really appreciate any help that can be given.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 937
Physics news on Phys.org
I've realized that when written as the two sums, it's clear that there are only two linearly independent eigenvectors for each sum. I'm not sure how it works when the i's get multiplied in though. Aren't there infinite eigenvalues to reflect the infinite nature of the sums?

Hi chap, welcome to PF :),

What would an eigenvector of exp(iπσx/2) look like ? What conditions would it have to satisfy ?

And what about eigenvectors of σx itself ?

So the eigenvectors would have to satisfy exp(iπσx/2)v = Av where A is the eigenvalue. I know that eigenvectors of σx are (1,1) and (1,-1)
Thanks for your help.

Hello, thank you for your question. I would approach this problem by first understanding the properties of eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix. The eigenvalues of a matrix are the values that, when multiplied by the identity matrix, give back the original matrix. Eigenvectors are the vectors that, when multiplied by the matrix, give back the original vector multiplied by the eigenvalue.

In this case, we are dealing with the exponential matrix of the Pauli matrix σx. The first step would be to find the eigenvalues of σx, which are ±1. This means that when we multiply σx by ±1, we get back the original matrix.

Next, we can use the properties of the exponential matrix to simplify the problem. The exponential of a matrix is defined as the sum of the matrix raised to different powers. In this case, we can use the property that σxn = σx for odd n. This means that all odd powers of σx will give back the original matrix.

Using this knowledge, we can rewrite the exponential matrix as exp(iπσx/2) = Σ(1/n!)(iπσx/2)n. We can then split this into two sums, one for even n and one for odd n. For the even powers, we can use the property that σxn is equal to the identity matrix. This means that all even powers of σx will give back the identity matrix.

For the odd powers, we can use the property that σxn = σx. This means that all odd powers of σx will give back the original matrix. In this case, we can rewrite the odd powers as σx = σx.

Now, we can simplify the sums and solve for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. We know that the eigenvalues are ±1, so we can substitute these values into the sums and solve for the eigenvectors. The eigenvectors for the eigenvalue 1 are [1 0]T and the eigenvectors for the eigenvalue -1 are [0 1]T.

In conclusion, the eigenvectors of the exponential matrix exp(iπσx/2) are [1 0]T and [0 1]T, with corresponding eigenvalues of 1 and -1, respectively. These eigenvectors and eigenvalues satisfy the properties of eigenvalues and eigenvectors

Related to Eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix)

What are eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix)?

Eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix) are special vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by the exponential of the pauli matrix. They are important in quantum mechanics and are used to solve many physical problems.

What is the significance of eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix)?

Eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix) have many applications in quantum mechanics, including in the study of spin systems, quantum computing, and quantum information theory. They also play a crucial role in understanding the dynamics of physical systems and predicting their behavior.

How are eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix) calculated?

Eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix) can be calculated by solving the characteristic equation for the pauli matrix, which involves finding the roots of a quadratic equation. Alternatively, they can also be found through numerical methods such as diagonalization or power iteration.

What are the properties of eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix)?

Eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix) have a number of important properties, including being orthogonal to each other, forming a basis for the vector space, and being associated with their own eigenvalues. They also follow the laws of linear algebra, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication.

Can eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix) be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvectors of exponential matrix (pauli matrix) can be complex numbers. In fact, in many cases involving quantum mechanics, complex eigenvectors are necessary to fully describe the behavior of physical systems. Complex eigenvectors also have important applications in fields such as signal processing and control theory.