Eigenvectors of "squeezed" amplitude operator

In summary, the states $$|z, \alpha \rangle = \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle $$ and $$|\alpha, z \rangle = \hat D(\alpha) \hat S(z)| 0 \rangle $$ are eigenvectors of the squeezed amplitude operator $$ \hat b = \hat S(z) \hat a \hat S ^\dagger (z) = \mu \hat a + \nu \hat a ^\dagger $$ with eigenvalues μα+να*, where μ, ν, and z are complex numbers. This can be proven by using the fact that the coherent state |α⟩ is an eigenstate of the annihilation
carllacan

Homework Statement

Prove that the states $$|z, \alpha \rangle = \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle $$ $$|\alpha, z \rangle = \hat D(\alpha) \hat S(z)| 0 \rangle $$
are eigenvectors of the squeezed amplitude operator $$ \hat b = \hat S(z) \hat a \hat S ^\dagger (z) = \mu \hat a + \nu \hat a ^\dagger $$, with μ, ν and z being complex numbers and where $$\hat D(\alpha) = e^{\alpha \hat a ^\dagger - \alpha ^* \hat a }$$ is the displacement operator and $$ \hat S(z) = e ^{ \frac{z^*}{2} \hat a ^2 - \frac{z}{2} \hat a ^{\dagger 2}}$$ is the compression operator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I've tried $$ \hat b \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle = \hat S(z) \hat a \hat S ^\dagger (z) \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle = \hat S(z) \hat a | \alpha \rangle $$, but I can't get farther than that. I've tried and reordering the exponentials, writing them as taylor series, and writing the coherent state α as a sum of number states n. but I haven't got nowhere.

I have the feeling that the solution is much easier than what I am doing. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
carllacan said:
$$ \hat b \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle = \hat S(z) \hat a \hat S ^\dagger (z) \hat S(z)\hat D(\alpha) | 0 \rangle = \hat S(z) \hat a | \alpha \rangle $$
Just a few more (if not one) steps needed. Remember that the coherent state is an eigenstate of ##\hat{a}##.

Likes carllacan
blue_leaf77 said:
Just a few more (if not one) steps needed. Remember that the coherent state is an eigenstate of ##\hat{a}##.
Yes, I realized that I already had the solution just after I went to bed. I'm retarded, haha. And the other state is easy to prove once you have this one. Using D(α)S(z) = S(z)D(μα+να*) it's easy to see that it's an eigenvector with eigenvalue μα+να*.

Thanks for your help.

FAQ: Eigenvectors of "squeezed" amplitude operator

1. What are eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator?

Eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator refer to the special vectors that do not change direction when acted upon by the operator. Instead, they only change in magnitude by a certain amount, known as the eigenvalue.

2. How are eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator related to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the "squeezed" amplitude operator is used to describe the dynamics of a quantum system. The eigenvectors of this operator play a crucial role in representing the possible states of the system and the outcomes of measurements.

3. Can eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator can be complex numbers. This is because quantum mechanics allows for complex numbers to be used in its calculations, and the eigenvectors are part of these calculations.

4. How do you find the eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator?

To find the eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator, you would first need to express the operator in matrix form. Then, you can use mathematical techniques, such as diagonalization or the characteristic equation, to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. Can the eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator change over time?

No, the eigenvectors of a "squeezed" amplitude operator do not change over time. They are considered to be fixed and represent the stable states of a quantum system. However, the eigenvalues may change, indicating a change in the system's energy or amplitude.

Back