Was Albert Einstein Truly an Atheist?

In summary: He seems to be saying that the "God" that he refers to is not the same person as the Christian God, but is simply the "structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it". In other words, Nature is not a personal being that has a plan or a goal, but is instead an orderly and lawful force.In summary, Einstein believed that the "God" that he referred to was not the same as the Christian God, but was simply the "structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it". He felt that this "God" was an orderly and lawful force, not a personal being that has a plan or a goal.
iodmys
Do you agree than Albert Einstein was basically an atheist? There seem to be rumors that he was not, after all, he did use the word "God" on many occasions. However, I am pretty sure that his "God" was a synonym for Nature. Here is what Einstein had to say:
"From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist... I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one."

Physics news on Phys.org
I concur, I believe anyone who looks deep enough into these things comes up with the same conclusion.

http://condor.stcloudstate.edu/~lesikar/einstein/

Last edited by a moderator:
By "personal god", he meant a christian-tye, caring god - one that exerts direct influence on us, by answering prayers or performing miracles, for example. He believed, as I do, that "god" wrote down the laws, sat back, and let the universe play out. Of course, this anthropomorphizing should be taken with a grain of salt, as "god" is intended to mean whatever force brought the universe into existence. It's a force that I believe to be necessarily beyond our understanding and pointless to argue about.

Notice his qualifier "from the point of view of a Jesuit". And we might add "..of an Evangelical Preacher, or an orthodox Rabbi". Einstein rejected revealed religion. Insofar as he had any belief beyond evidence himself, it was in the Spinozan doctrine of "creative Nature". The universe, seen not just as a passive collection of things, but as a dynamic growing entity of which we see only the barest hint. I don't claim that Einstein fully believed in this, but Spinoza did, and Einstein greatly admired Spinoza.

I am not sure whether Einstein's religious sentiments can be stretched further than that he marveled at the basic intelligibility of the universe
(I think he expressed views in that direction)

Last edited:
Eastern Mysticism?

iodmys said:
"From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist... I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one."
I think it's important to ponder just what Einstein may have meant when he said "personal God". He was probably thinking in terms of the popular conception of God as being a separate entity that people pray to almost as if requesting gifts from a cosmic Santa Claus.

If Einstein genuinely believed that we are solely the product of the universe, then he must have also realized that we are the universe comprehending itself. Therefore whatever power the universe has, so have we. Of course, Einstein was a pure physicist and believed solely in the physical (or mathematical description) of the universe. In other words, he restricted himself entirely in terms of mathematical physics.

I'm personally not sold on the idea that quantitative relationships are the sole basis of existence. Therefore I believe that there may be a metaphysical aspect to our existence which we would automatically classify as spiritual. Ironically, if we have access to these higher metaphysical powers ourselves, because we are indeed a part of the universe, then in a sense God is more personal than any external Santa Claus ever cold be.

I suppose this kind of cosmic spirituality is the basis of many eastern philosophies, or mysticism.

Does anyone know whether Einstein ever made any reference to eastern philosophies or mysticism and what his thoughts were on those philosophies?

selfAdjoint said:
Notice his qualifier "from the point of view of a Jesuit". And we might add "..of an Evangelical Preacher, or an orthodox Rabbi". Einstein rejected revealed religion. Insofar as he had any belief beyond evidence himself, it was in the Spinozan doctrine of "creative Nature". The universe, seen not just as a passive collection of things, but as a dynamic growing entity of which we see only the barest hint. I don't claim that Einstein fully believed in this, but Spinoza did, and Einstein greatly admired Spinoza.

But what of his (Einstein's) references to "the Old One"?

IMO, this was an anthropomorphizing of something very much like Spinoza's "creative Nature", but there are some who make a very big deal of how much anthropomorphizing can be done without accepting an actual person.

"If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever...
...I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic."

Albert Einstein

I think this qualifies him as an atheist not only from the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest, but by the accepted meaning of the term.

IODMYS POSTED:
Quote:
"I am a deeply religious nonbeliever...
...I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic."
Albert Einstein

I think this qualifies him as an atheist not only from the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest, but by the accepted meaning of the term.

A non-believer is not necessarily an atheist. Atheist comes from "A Theos"--a greek root meaning "No god". (It does not come from "A Theist")
A true Atheist actually claims that no god/ gods exists. An Agnostic witholds a belief either way--for or against a god existing. Albert Einstein was really a pantheist, and there are a number of web sites that deal with his beliefs in this area. Photongod

yep, he was an Atheist. He believed in "Spinoza's God" which was "nature" but probably realized he'd be ostracized if he just stated that he believed in no God.

Einstein is still cool, I once saw a clip of him scissor kicking Oppenhiemer in the head during the development of the bomb. How is it that so many people can believe in God, and so many believe there is no God, what if they are both wrong?

Related to Was Albert Einstein Truly an Atheist?

What was Albert Einstein's religious beliefs?

Albert Einstein's religious beliefs have been a subject of debate and speculation. He was raised Jewish, but he did not have a strong religious upbringing. As he grew older, he rejected traditional religious beliefs and instead had a more philosophical and scientific view of the world. He believed in a higher power or intelligence, but not in a personal God.

Did Einstein believe in an afterlife?

Einstein did not believe in a personal afterlife or a traditional concept of heaven and hell. He believed that our consciousness is bound to our physical bodies and that it ends when we die. However, he did believe in the concept of energy being transformed and continuing to exist in some form, which could be seen as a form of afterlife.

Did Einstein believe in God?

Einstein had a complex and nuanced view of the concept of God. He rejected traditional religious beliefs and did not believe in a personal God who intervenes in the world. However, he did believe in a higher power or intelligence that is manifested in the laws of the universe. He famously said, "God does not play dice with the universe," showing his belief in a divine order and intelligence behind the workings of the world.

How did Einstein's views on religion influence his scientific work?

Einstein's views on religion had a significant influence on his scientific work. He believed that science and religion were not in opposition, but rather two different ways of understanding the world. He saw his scientific discoveries as a way of uncovering the mysteries and beauty of the universe, which he saw as a manifestation of a higher power. This belief in a divine order and intelligence also influenced his pursuit of a unified theory of physics.

What was Einstein's opinion on organized religion?

Einstein was critical of organized religion and saw it as a source of conflict and division in the world. He believed that true religion should be based on individual experience and inner spiritual growth, rather than blindly following dogma and rituals. He also saw organized religion as limiting and hindering scientific progress, as it often rejected new ideas and advancements.