Einstein Notation - Not sure if my answers are right

In summary: So it is a scalar. In summary, the conversation is about a question involving specific questions 11 and 12 and the use of partial derivatives and indices in a solution. The expert provides helpful hints and clarifies that the use of the kronecker delta in the problem means that the partial derivative is a scalar.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Questions 11 and 12 specifically..
29dzc43.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

11(a)
e7ze36.png

11(b)
2hhkp35.png

12(a)
2rhrxp1.png

12(b)
34pgaad.png

oky1lf.png

12(c)
2vdi8o7.png

mslys6.png

12(d)
35k4wme.png

ru9svs.png

(I did the last part of 12(d) by normal vector methods and got 2a instead...which is the correct answer)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An index shouldn't appear more than twice. For the first one, for example, you should have
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial r_i} (r_j r_j)^{n/2}$$

vela said:
An index shouldn't appear more than twice. For the first one, for example, you should have
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial r_i} (r_j r_j)^{n/2}$$

Thanks for your reply!

Also, I can't see what's wrong with my final answer in part 12(d)...i think the last line is the cross product of ∂j and r which equates to zero??

I think I have figured out every question other than part 12(d)

Last edited:
Hint: ##\partial_i r_j = \delta_{ij}##. You can use that in several of the problems. In 12b, you need to use the product rule.

vela said:
Hint: ##\partial_i r_j = \delta_{ij}##.

thanks i think I've sorted it out!

unscientific said:
what does this mean? is it a vector or a scalar? summation implied or not?
It is not a summation. It is just the statement that the partial of the jth coordinate function with respect to the ith coordinate function is just the kronecker delta.

Related to Einstein Notation - Not sure if my answers are right

1. What is Einstein Notation and why is it important in science?

Einstein Notation, also known as Einstein Summation Convention, is a mathematical notation used to represent and manipulate vectors, tensors, and matrices in physics and engineering. It is important because it simplifies and streamlines complex equations and allows for a more concise and elegant representation of mathematical expressions.

2. How does Einstein Notation differ from traditional vector notation?

In traditional vector notation, each component of a vector is represented with a separate symbol, such as x, y, and z for a three-dimensional vector. In Einstein Notation, the components are represented by a single symbol with a subscript, such as xi for the ith component of a vector. This allows for easier manipulation of vector equations.

3. What is the significance of the Einstein summation convention?

The Einstein summation convention states that any repeated index in an equation is implicitly summed over. This simplifies the notation and reduces the number of terms in an equation, making it easier to work with and less prone to errors.

4. Can Einstein Notation be used for any type of vector or tensor?

Yes, Einstein Notation can be used for any type of vector or tensor, including vectors in three-dimensional space, tensors in general relativity, and matrices in linear algebra. It is a versatile notation system that can be applied to a wide range of mathematical expressions in science and engineering.

5. Is there a specific order in which the indices should be written in Einstein Notation?

Yes, in Einstein Notation, the indices should be written in a consistent order. For example, if the expression has two indices, they should be written as xiyj. This helps to ensure that the notation is unambiguous and the equations are correctly interpreted.