Einstein Notation: Xj to Xi Transformation Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation Xj = aijXi, which involves a vector X, a mixed tensor aij, and the transformation between Xj and Xi. The use of the Einstein convention for summation is also mentioned.
Gear300
From what I'm reading, Xj = aijXi (X is a vector and the subscript for a is i)...though I'm not sure where the aijXi came from. Would this by any chance be a relation for the transformation equations from Xj to Xi?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, [itex]x^j[/itex] and [itex]\underline{x}^i[/itex] are vectors. [itex]a_i^j[/itex] is a mixed tensor of order 2. It's not clear to me what you mean by "given a vector summation" but on the right side of the equation there certainly is a summation: The "Einstein convention" is that when an index is repeated, once as a subscript and once as a superscript, you sum over all values of that index.

I see. Thanks for the assistance.

Related to Einstein Notation: Xj to Xi Transformation Equations

1. What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as Einstein summation convention, is a mathematical notation used in tensor calculus to simplify equations involving summations of vectors and tensors. It uses Greek indices to represent the dimensions of a vector or tensor, and the repeated indices are implicitly summed over.

2. What is the purpose of Xj to Xi transformation equations in Einstein notation?

The Xj to Xi transformation equations in Einstein notation are used to transform an equation from one coordinate system to another. This is especially useful in general relativity, where the equations describing the curvature of spacetime may be easier to solve in one coordinate system than another.

3. How do you perform an Xj to Xi transformation in Einstein notation?

To perform an Xj to Xi transformation in Einstein notation, we use the transformation equations, which are derived from the matrix of partial derivatives of the new coordinates with respect to the old coordinates. The indices of the original equation are replaced with the transformed indices according to the transformation equations.

4. What is the benefit of using Einstein notation in scientific calculations?

Einstein notation allows for a more concise and elegant representation of equations involving summations of vectors and tensors. It also simplifies the manipulation and calculation of these equations, making them easier to solve and understand.

5. Are there any limitations to using Einstein notation?

While Einstein notation is a powerful tool in tensor calculus, it can become cumbersome and confusing when dealing with complex equations involving multiple indices. It also has limitations when used in conjunction with non-tensorial quantities, such as scalars and spinors.