• Start date
  • Tags
    alignment
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
This article seems to suggest four lobes is the optimum
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's specific to an elliptical mass - each axis gives you a pair of images, IIRC. With a spherical mass you can, in principle, get a ring.

• Informative
Likes Drakkith, Vanadium 50 and fresh_42
Ibix said:
It's specific to an elliptical mass - each axis gives you a pair of images, IIRC. With a spherical mass you can, in principle, get a ring.
Ah! That's what I deduced after ruminating upon it.

Although it still doesn't seem to fit. There's no particular reason for the major and minor axes to happen to focus on Earth's locale. It seem it is just as likely, but random change that the right focal length might happen at, say, 45 degrees.

DaveC426913 said:
There's no particular reason for the major and minor axes to happen to focus on Earth'
If you had only one example, sure. But there are multiple examples, and when you pick one with a certain characteristic ("looks pretty") in impacts others.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you had only one example, sure. But there are multiple examples, and when you pick one with a certain characteristic ("looks pretty") in impacts others.
That's why I wonder if I'm reading too much into the text:

"When the alignment is nearly perfect and the lens mass has an elliptical distribution, the background source would appear as quadruply lensed."

...as if there is some ultimate case where parameters conspire for the "ideal" ring.

Are you suggesting that "ideal" is aesthetic, as opposed to geometrically optimal?

DaveC426913 said:
Are you suggesting that "ideal" is aesthetic, as opposed to geometrically optimal?
The perfect alignment means you, lensing galaxy, and lensed galaxy lying on a straight line. If you're too far off-axis in one direction but not the other you might find you only see three images.
DaveC426913 said:
There's no particular reason for the major and minor axes to happen to focus on Earth's locale.
A gravitational lens is a terrible lens, but this does mean that if you are on axis there is a huge range of distances over which you will see lensing. So overlap between "focus" of one bad lens axis and the other is not unlikely.

DaveC426913 said:
That's why I wonder if I'm reading too much into the text:

"When the alignment is nearly perfect and the lens mass has an elliptical distribution, the background source would appear as quadruply lensed."

...as if there is some ultimate case where parameters conspire for the "ideal" ring.

You saw this one?

1695732130998.png

Likes DaveC426913
pinball1970 said:
You saw this one?

View attachment 332609
Yes, this is what I considered a "perfect" Einstein Ring.

So I was reading too much into the term "perfect" in the OP quote.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, this is what I considered a "perfect" Einstein Ring.

So I was reading too much into the term "perfect" in the OP quote.
If you blow it up you can see four lobes too.

Likes collinsmark

Related to Einstein ring has four images?

What is an Einstein ring?

An Einstein ring is a phenomenon that occurs when light from a distant source, such as a galaxy or star, is bent around a massive object, like another galaxy or black hole, situated between the source and the observer. This bending of light, predicted by Einstein's theory of General Relativity, creates a ring-like structure around the massive object.

Why does an Einstein ring sometimes have four images?

When the alignment between the source, the massive object, and the observer is not perfect, the gravitational lensing effect can produce multiple images of the same source. The most common configuration is a quadruply lensed system, where four distinct images of the same astronomical object appear around the lensing mass, often forming a cross-like pattern known as an "Einstein Cross."

How are the positions of the four images in an Einstein ring determined?

The positions of the four images in an Einstein ring are determined by the gravitational potential of the lensing mass and the relative alignment of the source, lens, and observer. The lens equation, derived from General Relativity, is used to calculate the locations where the deflected light rays converge to form distinct images.

Are all Einstein rings perfectly circular?

No, not all Einstein rings are perfectly circular. The shape of an Einstein ring depends on the distribution of mass in the lensing object and the alignment of the source, lens, and observer. If the lensing mass is not spherically symmetric or the alignment is not perfect, the ring can appear distorted, elliptical, or even broken into multiple arcs.

What scientific information can we gain from studying Einstein rings with four images?

Studying Einstein rings with four images provides valuable insights into the mass distribution of the lensing object, the properties of the distant source, and the geometry of the universe. By analyzing the positions, magnifications, and time delays between the images, scientists can infer the mass and structure of the lensing galaxy or black hole, measure the Hubble constant, and test models of dark matter and dark energy.