Elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the pressure inside an elastic balloon with tension T and volume V in vacuum. The solution involves using the ideal gas law and dimensional analysis to relate the increase in area of the balloon to the increase in volume. The final expression for V is (Nkτ/2T)3/2(4π/3)-1/2. This is also supported by the thermodynamics of soap bubbles.
poiuyt

Homework Statement

Take an elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum. The surface of the balloon has tension T. Find the pressure inside the balloon in terms of V and T, then combine this to the ideal gas law to find an expression for V.

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

I think one should use something like dU=-pdV, but you need to add a term with T. From dimensional analysis you get TdA. So you have dU=-pdV+TdA. But I'm confused on what happens then, I get something like

p=-(dU/dV)+T(dA/dV)

But then how does this help if I want V?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
poiuyt said:

Homework Statement

Take an elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum. The surface of the balloon has tension T. Find the pressure inside the balloon in terms of V and T, then combine this to the ideal gas law to find an expression for V.

Homework Equations

See below

The Attempt at a Solution

I think one should use something like dU=-pdV, but you need to add a term with T. From dimensional analysis you get TdA. So you have dU=-pdV+TdA. But I'm confused on what happens then, I get something like

p=-(dU/dV)+K(dA/dV)

But then how does this help if I want V?

You have a static equilibrium. Pressure inside the balloon (force pushing out) is exactly compensated for by the tension in the balloon (force decreasing the size of the balloon).

How can you relate the increase in area of the balloon to the increase in volume?

maybe like this: dA/dV should go like 1/dr where r is the radius. If you do it for the whole balloon this is A/V=3/r. So effectively you get p = 3T/r = 3T (4π/3)1/3 V-1/3

then you plug this in the ideal gas law (I call the temperature τ) and you get pV=3T (4π/3)1/3 V-1/3 V = Nkτ and solving for V you get V = (Nkτ/3T)3/2 (4π/3)-1/2

I'm not sure about the 3 from A/V

poiuyt said:
I think one should use something like dU=-pdV
Finding the pressure is much easier than that.
Think of the sphere in two halves. What is the force pushing them apart? What is the force holding them together?

Ok, one half gets F=pπr2 because the area is effectively just the one of the equator (right?). The force that holds together the two halves is the circle 2πr times the tension T. So you get p=2T/r. Then you have exactly the same calculation, but with a 2 instead of a 3: V = (Nkτ/2T)3/2(4π/3)-1/2

Btw I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension#Thermodynamics_of_soap_bubbles where they get the same using dA/dV!

Related to Elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum

1. What is an elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum?

An elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum refers to a balloon made of a stretchable material that is inflated to a specific volume inside a vacuum chamber. This allows for the study of the physical properties of the balloon without interference from outside air pressure.

2. How does an elastic balloon behave in vacuum?

In vacuum, an elastic balloon will expand and contract according to the changes in volume and pressure. This behavior can be observed and analyzed to understand the properties of the material and the effects of external forces on the balloon.

3. What can be learned from studying an elastic balloon in vacuum?

Studying an elastic balloon in vacuum can provide insights into the material's elasticity, strength, and other physical properties. It can also help understand the effects of external forces, such as pressure and temperature, on the balloon's behavior.

4. How is an elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum used in scientific experiments?

An elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum is used in various scientific experiments, including studying the properties of materials, testing the effects of external forces, and understanding the behavior of objects in a vacuum environment.

5. Can an elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum be used in real-world applications?

While an elastic balloon of volume V in vacuum may not have direct practical applications, the knowledge gained from studying its behavior can be applied to real-world scenarios. For example, understanding the properties of materials can help in designing more durable and efficient products, and studying the effects of external forces can aid in developing safer structures and systems.