Elastic Collision 4: Final Velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to determine the final velocities of two identical masses colliding, with one initially at rest. The equations used are symmetric in the velocities and result in two possible solutions, one in which one of the masses is at rest after the collision and one in which both masses have non-zero velocities. However, care must be taken to correctly substitute and isolate variables in order to obtain the correct solution.
Karol

Homework Statement

Two identical masses collide. one is at rest. what are their final velocities.

Homework Equations

The relative velocities before and after the collision are identical:
##v_1-v_2=-(u_1-u_2)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw the final velocities in the same direction:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} mv_1=mu_1+mu_2 \\ -v_1=-(u_1-u_2) \end{array} \right. [/tex]
It gives $$u_2=0$$ which isn't true, u1 should be 0.
And more, i can switch between u1 and u2 in the drawing and it will also be good since they are drawn in the same direction, so, how do i know who stops?
I get this answer also if i use the conservation of energy formula instead of the relative velocities formula.
If i draw u1 backwards and change the formula in accordance:
##\left\{ \begin{array}{l} mv_1=mu_1-mu_2 \\ -v_1=-(u_1-u_2) \end{array} \right.##
I again get the same result: $$u_2=0$$
Apart from the question i posed, do i have to assume a direction and then write the formuls accordingly or i have always to write:
##\left\{ \begin{array}{l} mv_1=mu_1+mu_2 \\ -v_1=-(u_1-u_2) \end{array} \right.##

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I draw the final velocities in the same direction:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} mv_1=mu_1+mu_2 \\ -v_1=-(u_1-u_2) \end{array} \right. [/tex]
The left hand side of the second equation should be ##v_1##, not ##-v_1##.

--

Thanks, it solved it.
I used the next set of equations:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} mv_1=mu_1+mu_2 \\ \frac{1}{2}mv^2_1=\frac{1}{2}mu^2_1+\frac{1}{2}mu^2_2 \end{array} \right. [/tex]
##\Rightarrow \left\{ \begin{array}{l} v_1=u_1+u_2 \\ v^2_1=u^2_1+u^2_2 \end{array} \right.##
I isolated u1:
##\Rightarrow v^2_1=(v_1+u_2)^2+u^2_2##
And got the same answer, good. but when i solved the same set of equations by isolating v1 i got a different answer:
##(u_1+u_2)^2=u^2_1+u^2_2 \rightarrow u_1 u_2=0##
Do you know this behavior of sets of equations, that you get different answers by using different ways?

No, you will not get different answers by doing it different ways. The statement ##u_1 u_2 = 0## simply tells you that either ##u_1## or ##u_2## is zero after the collision, both of which are perfectly valid roots (##u_2 = 0## corresponds to the balls not having collided yet).

The equations you have are symmetric in ##u_1## and ##u_2## so if ##u_1 = 0, u_2 = U## is a solution, then also ##u_1 = U, u_2 = 0## must be a solution.

Karol said:
I used the next set of equations:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l} mv_1=mu_1+mu_2 \\ \frac{1}{2}mv^2_1=\frac{1}{2}mu^2_1+\frac{1}{2}mu^2_2 \end{array} \right. [/tex]
##\Rightarrow \left\{ \begin{array}{l} v_1=u_1+u_2 \\ v^2_1=u^2_1+u^2_2 \end{array} \right.##
Realize that these equations are equivalent to those you used earlier.

I isolated u1:
##\Rightarrow v^2_1=(v_1+u_2)^2+u^2_2##
And got the same answer, good.
You made an error in your substitution. ##u_1 \ne v_1+u_2##.

but when i solved the same set of equations by isolating v1 i got a different answer:
##(u_1+u_2)^2=u^2_1+u^2_2 \rightarrow u_1 u_2=0##
This time you did it correctly.

Do you know this behavior of sets of equations, that you get different answers by using different ways?
Only when you make an error. :wink:

Related to Elastic Collision 4: Final Velocities

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In an elastic collision, there is no loss of energy due to friction or deformation of the objects involved.

2. What is the formula for calculating final velocities in an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating final velocities in an elastic collision is vf1 = (m1 - m2) / (m1 + m2) * vi1 + (2 * m2) / (m1 + m2) * vi2 and vf2 = (2 * m1) / (m1 + m2) * vi1 + (m2 - m1) / (m1 + m2) * vi2, where vf1 and vf2 are the final velocities of the objects, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and vi1 and vi2 are the initial velocities of the objects.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to friction or deformation of the objects. In an inelastic collision, the final velocities of the objects may be different from their initial velocities.

4. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses. The final velocities of the objects will depend on their masses and initial velocities.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two cars colliding without damage, and a tennis ball bouncing off a racket. In all of these examples, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved.