Elastic collision between 2 different masses

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to calculate momentum and the conservation of its components. The picture provided shows the angle between two masses, and it is determined that separate equations for px and py are needed. It is also clarified that the angles between the masses do not necessarily add up to 90 degrees.
Yeldarb

Homework Statement

See picture

Homework Equations

p = p1 +p2
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

See picture, using equations for the velocity and using 90-tan-1(2) for the angle

Attachments

• q.PNG
    q.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,310
  • q.PNG
    q.PNG
    13.4 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not forget that momentum is a vector quantity. Both of its components are conserved.
Why do you think that θ2=90-tan-1(2)?

ehild said:
Do not forget that momentum is a vector quantity. Both of its components are conserved.
Why do you think that θ2=90-tan-1(2)?
Does this mean that I need to use a px and a py equation? Does what I got help me at all? The picture shows tan(theta1)=2, so theta1= tan-1(2) and since the angle between the two should be 90, 90-theta1 =theta2

Thanks

Yeldarb said:
Does this mean that I need to use a px and a py equation? Does what I got help me at all? The picture shows tan(theta1)=2, so theta1= tan-1(2) and since the angle between the two should be 90, 90-theta1 =theta2

Thanks
What makes you think the angle between their directions is 90° ?

q-png.91722.png

Yeldarb said:

Thanks
Yes, you need an equation for px and an other one for py. NO, the two angles do not add up to 90°. It happens if the two masses are equal.

Related to Elastic collision between 2 different masses

1. What is an elastic collision between 2 different masses?

An elastic collision between 2 different masses is a type of collision where the kinetic energy is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the two masses before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic collision between 2 different masses?

In an elastic collision between 2 different masses, the total momentum of the two masses before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the mass and velocity of each object may change, but the total momentum remains the same.

3. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision between 2 different masses, the kinetic energy is conserved and the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, there is a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision between 2 different masses?

The outcome of an elastic collision between 2 different masses is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects, as well as the angle of collision and any external forces acting on the objects.

5. How is an elastic collision between 2 different masses used in real-world applications?

An elastic collision between 2 different masses is used in many real-world applications, such as billiards, car crashes, and particle physics experiments. It is also an important concept in understanding the behavior of gases and other fluids.