Elastic collision with both particles moving & different masses

In summary, an elastic collision is a type of collision where there is no loss of kinetic energy between two particles. In contrast, inelastic collisions result in a loss of kinetic energy and changes in momentum. The equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision takes into account the masses and initial velocities of the particles. In an elastic collision between two particles of different masses, the lighter particle will experience a greater change in velocity due to its lower mass. An elastic collision can occur between two objects of different materials, but the materials may affect the amount of energy lost in the collision.
mathsgeek3.14
Just a quick question,

does working in the laboratory frame mean particle 2 will be stationary and thus this can be done more simply?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not necessarily.

Related to Elastic collision with both particles moving & different masses

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two particles where there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the particles before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, there is no loss of kinetic energy and the total momentum is conserved. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and the total momentum is not conserved. Inelastic collisions often result in a change in the shape or deformation of the particles involved.

What is the equation for calculating the final velocities of particles in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities of particles in an elastic collision is v1f = (m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2) * v1i + (2*m2)/(m1 + m2) * v2i and v2f = (2*m1)/(m1 + m2) * v1i + (m2 - m1)/(m1 + m2) * v2i, where v1f and v2f are the final velocities, m1 and m2 are the masses of the particles, and v1i and v2i are the initial velocities of the particles.

How does the mass of the particles affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision with two particles of different masses, the lighter particle will experience a greater change in velocity compared to the heavier particle. This is because the lighter particle has a lower mass and therefore a greater acceleration for the same force. However, the total kinetic energy of the system will still be conserved.

Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different materials?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different materials as long as the collision is perfectly elastic. However, the materials of the objects may affect the amount of energy that is lost due to factors such as deformation or friction.

Back