Elastic collision with Conservation of momentum problem?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving an elastic collision between two titanium spheres, with one remaining at rest after the collision. The summary explains the steps taken to find the mass of the other sphere and the speed of the two-sphere center of mass, and addresses a confusion with the method used by the teacher. The teacher used the formula for the velocity of the center of mass, which takes into account the conservation of momentum, to find the final velocity of the center of mass. The answer was found to be positive, indicating a forward direction, but it would have been negative if the spheres had been moving in opposite directions after the collision.
nchin
elastic collision with Conservation of momentum problem?

i need help with part b.

Two titanium spheres approach each other head-on with the same speed and collide elastically, After the collision, one of the spheres, whose mass (m1) is .3 kg, remains at rest.

(a) What is the mass of the other sphere?
(b) Assume that the initial speed of each sphere was 2.0 m/s. What is the speed of the two-sphere center of mass?

a)
I know i did part a correctly. here's what i did:

momentum is conserved: m1 * u - m2 * u = m2 * v
or (m1 - m2) * u = m2 * v
Also, for an elastic head-on collision, we know that the
relative velocity of approach = relative velocity of separation
(from conservation of energy), or, for this problem,
2u = v
Then
(m1 - m2) * u = m2 * 2u
m1 - m2 = 2 * m2
m1 = 3 * m2
m1 is the sphere that remained at rest (hence its absence from the RHS), so
m2 = 0.3kg / 3
m2 = 0.1 kg

b) this part confuses me, here's what i did

(m1 - m2) * u = m2 * v
(.3kg - .1kg)(2.0m/s) = .1kg * v
.4 kg = .1 v
v = 4 m/s

What my teacher did:
(.3g - .1g) * 2.0m/s = (.3g + .1g) * v

I understand the left hand side but i don't get the right hand side. Why is m1 added to m2 when m1 is at rest which makes its v = zero??

v = +1.00m/s

since the answer is positive, what does that mean? Also, if v was -1.00m/s what would that mean?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your teacher used this:
[tex]v_{CM}=\frac{m_1v_1+m_2v_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]
[itex]v_{CM}[/itex] is the velocity of center of mass.

Pranav-Arora said:
Your teacher used this:
[tex]v_{CM}=\frac{m_1v_1+m_2v_2}{m_1+m_2}[/tex]
[itex]v_{CM}[/itex] is the velocity of center of mass.

I know he uses that formula but shouldn't m1 be zero since its final v is zero because it's at rest?

nchin said:
I know he uses that formula but shouldn't m1 be zero since its final v is zero because it's at rest?

If you carefully look at the formula i posted, the numerator is the linear momentum of the system. Here, since the momentum is conserved, the numerator does not change. Your teacher used this and found momentum of system before collision which saved him from doing more steps. Even if you find the final velocities after the collision and substitute it in the formula, you get the same answer as your teacher.

First of all, great job on part a! Your understanding of conservation of momentum is correct.

For part b, your teacher's approach is also correct. Let's break down the right hand side of the equation:

(.3kg + .1kg) * v

= (m1 + m2) * v

= (m1 + m2) * 2u

= (m1 + m2) * 2 * (u/2)

= (m1 + m2) * vcm

Where vcm is the velocity of the center of mass. This equation uses the fact that in an elastic collision, the relative velocity of approach is equal to the relative velocity of separation. So, we can say that the initial speed of each sphere (2u) is equal to the final speed of the center of mass (vcm).

Now, let's look at the answer. Since the final speed of the center of mass is 1.00 m/s, this means that the two spheres are moving together at a speed of 1.00 m/s after the collision. This makes sense because the larger sphere (m1) was initially at rest, so it must have gained some velocity from the smaller sphere (m2) in order to move together after the collision.

If the final speed of the center of mass was -1.00 m/s, this would mean that the two spheres are moving in opposite directions after the collision. This would happen if the smaller sphere (m2) had a larger initial velocity than the larger sphere (m1), causing them to separate after the collision.

Overall, the positive or negative sign of the final speed of the center of mass tells us the direction of the motion of the two spheres after the collision. A positive value means they are moving together, while a negative value means they are moving in opposite directions.

Related to Elastic collision with Conservation of momentum problem?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the objects before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

3. What are the conditions for an elastic collision?

The conditions for an elastic collision are that there is no external force acting on the system, the objects involved are perfectly elastic (meaning they do not deform upon collision), and there is no loss of energy due to friction or other factors.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities of objects in an elastic collision?

The final velocities of objects in an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy equations. By setting the initial and final momentum and kinetic energy equal to each other, a system of equations can be solved to find the final velocities of the objects.

5. Can an elastic collision occur between objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses. In an elastic collision, the relative velocities of the objects are more important than their masses. As long as the other conditions for an elastic collision are met, such as no external forces and perfectly elastic objects, the collision will be elastic regardless of the masses of the objects involved.