Elastic deformation of axially loaded members

In summary: I think I got it. You're trying to find the displacement of the bar with the load distributed longitudinally at a point A. You use the formula displacement = PL/AE where P=load, L=length of member, A=cross-sectional area tangent to the load, and E=Young's modulus. You get: 500(*1.5m^1/3)^1/3 N/m x 1.5m = 0.00175m^2.
mechengstudent
Hi all,

I have a textbook question which I am stuck on and should be quite basic.

There is a bar that has a cross-sectional area of 1750mm2, and E = 220GPa.

http://imgur.com/gU29J1q
Edit: okay link is not working, it is http://imgur.com/gU29J1q

I am asked to find the displacement with the loading w=500x^1/3 N/m.

In class we have been using the formula displacement = PL/AE, where

P=load
L=length of member
A=cross sectional area tangent to load
E=Young's or elastic modulus

So far I have this

500(1.5m)^1/3 N/m x 1.5m
0.00175m^2 x 2.2x10^11 N/m^2

So it would seem all the units would cancel out apart from the m^1/3

However to me this didn't make much sense as the question is only asking for the answer to three significant figures and I got 1.467x10^-6 m^1/3

Can someone tell me if I am doing this correctly?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a bar where the axial load is distributed longitudinally. Exactly at what location are you supposed to calculate the axial deflection of the bar?

There is a point A at the end of the 1.5m long bar

I think you made a good attempt with trying to cancel out the units. The fact you came out with a strange unit for length should tell you did something wrong some where.

The mistake you made was using the wrong formula. The formula used is for a constant axial load. You have a distributed axial load here.

To solve this problem you need to develop your own formula by looking at how PL/AE is derived. Once you set this up and do the integral calculus you should arrive at a more sensible answer.

Yes thank you, I just found the right formula to use. It states the displacement is = integral between 0 and L of P(x)/A(x)E(x)

However I still don't know how to do it unfortunately. They give me w in the diagram, is this supposed to be P in the equation? And how would you substitute x in? Do just make it 500*1.5m^1/3 N/m? Or do I actually leave x in the equation?

Yes thank you, I just found the right formula to use. It states the displacement is = integral between 0 and L of P(x)/A(x)E(x)

However I still don't know how to do it unfortunately. They give me w in the diagram, is this supposed to be P in the equation? And how would you substitute x in? Do just make it 500*1.5m^1/3 N/m? Or do I actually leave x in the equation?

You're trying to substitute in x = L = 1.5m too soon. x does not equal 1.5m as it is variable that ranges from 0 to 1.5m.

But otherwise you guessed right, P(x)= w = 500x^1/3. Stick that in there and do the integration.

Duplicate.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. And for the A(x) and E(x) am I just using the area multiplied by x, and the elastic modulus multiplied by x?

This is what I am putting into Wolfram Alpha - 'definite integral of (500x^(1/3))/((0.00175x)(2.2x10^(11)x)) between 0 and 1.5'

However I don't know how to interpret the answer...

This is what I am putting into Wolfram Alpha - 'definite integral of (500x^(1/3))/((0.00175x)(2.2x10^(11)x)) between 0 and 1.5'

However I don't know how to interpret the answer...

mechengstudent said:
Okay thanks. And for the A(x) and E(x) am I just using the area multiplied by x, and the elastic modulus multiplied by x?

No. A(x) and E(x) represent the cross-sectional area and the modulus of elasticity of the beam as functions of the length variable, x. For a prismatic beam made of a single material, A(x) and E(x) will both be constants.

So what do I type into Wolfram Alpha? What does the formula look like when written out fully, before simplifying etc?

Put in the same formula but drop the extra x's that you put in for A(x) and E(x).

Generally, when someone defines a function F(x) this means the value of F depends on the variable x without having to state exactly what the function is. In this specific case P(x) = 500x^1/3 but A(x) = A and E(x) = E since these are constant along the length of the beam.

Duplicate.

And what about the metres and Newtons in the formula?

Oh sorry they cancel out, no worries

Related to Elastic deformation of axially loaded members

1. What is elastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is a reversible change in shape or size of a material when it is subjected to a force. This means that once the force is removed, the material will return to its original shape and size.

2. What are axially loaded members?

Axially loaded members are structural elements, such as bars or beams, that are loaded along their longitudinal axis. This means that the force is applied in the same direction as the member's length.

3. What factors affect the elastic deformation of axially loaded members?

The elastic deformation of axially loaded members is affected by the material properties, such as its modulus of elasticity and yield strength, as well as the magnitude and direction of the applied force.

4. How is the deformation of an axially loaded member calculated?

The deformation of an axially loaded member can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the deformation is directly proportional to the applied force and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area and modulus of elasticity of the member.

5. What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is a temporary change in shape or size of a material that is fully recoverable, while plastic deformation is a permanent change that occurs when a material is subjected to a force beyond its yield strength. In plastic deformation, the material does not return to its original shape and size even after the force is removed.