Elastic vs Inelastic Collision: Mass & Kinetic Energy

In summary, if two objects have the same mass and the collision is not elastic, the kinetic energy is conserved. If the collision is elastic, kinetic energy is not conserved.
KurtWagner
say I have two objects of the same mass. Is the collision always going to be elastic?
mv + mv = mv + mv

the masses cancel out and thus kinetic energy is conserved right?

does this mean that for two cars with exactly the same mass the collision is going to be elastic?

if so, would there be any damage to the cars? as the there is no change in kinetic energy then there is no energy to crumble the car body right?

Physics news on Phys.org
like for example when a moving car hits a resting car.

KurtWagner said:
say I have two objects of the same mass. Is the collision always going to be elastic?

Whether a collision is elastic or not has nothing to do with the masses.

does this mean that for two cars with exactly the same mass the collision is going to be elastic?

if so, would there be any damage to the cars? as the there is no change in kinetic energy then there is no energy to crumble the car body right?

Imagine a head on collision at 100km/hr between:
A) two 1000kg vehicles
B) one 500kg and one 1500kg vehicle

Does it make any sense to think the cars in case A) will be undamaged and the cars in case B) will be damaged?

In the real world there are no perfectly elastic collisions. Some collisions can be closely approximated as elastic but a car crash is definitely not one of them.

how about a rear ender between two cars of equal mass on ice.

first car is 10m/s second is at rest. after the collision the velocities are conserved right?

No, cars are specifically designed to be inelastic in collisions for safety reasons.

Collisions between Billiard balls are close to elastic.

No, same mass does not imply elastic collision. The collision between two cars is typically quite inelastic.

Edit: Maybe I should stop opening several tabs and answering when I get to them without checking if it was already answered ... :)

so how do you use the conservation of momentum for two cars of equal masses where the collision is inelastic.

why does the differences in speeds not break the conservation of momentum

Conservation of momentum is one equation but you have two variables (the post-collision velocities of each car). As such, it does not uniquely determine the velocities and you need more input, such as the total kinetic energy being conserved (elastic) or the velocities being equal after collision (fully inelastic).

am i right in assuming that most car collisions are completely inelastic?

or should i say. most car collisions where the breaks are engaged in both cats

*cars

"brakes", not "breaks".

thanks for that :p

KurtWagner said:
am i right in assuming that most car collisions are completely inelastic?
Any car collision more than a nudge is mostly inelastic.

KurtWagner said:
or should i say. most car collisions where the breaks are engaged in both cats

The brakes have nothing to do with it. Prior deceleration, like mass, has nothing to do with whether a collision is elastic or not.

so this brings me back to my misunderstanding involving the conservation of momentum.

for example a moving car hitting a stationary one.

initial
car a: 1000kg 10m/s
car b: 1000kg 0m/s

final
car a: ?
car b: 5m/susing the conservation of momentum on this would leave car a going 5m/s right?

kinetic energy is conserved right?

what am I doing wrong?

KurtWagner said:
initial
car a: 1000kg 10m/s
car b: 1000kg 0m/s

final
car a: ?
car b: 5m/susing the conservation of momentum on this would leave car a going 5m/s right?

kinetic energy is conserved right?

Kinetic energy is not conserved in this case.
The initial KE was [itex]\frac{1}{2}10^2M=50,000[/itex] Joules.
Whereas the final KE was [itex]\frac{1}{2}5^2M+\frac{1}{2}5^2M=25,000[/itex] Joules.

Kinetic Energy was lost (50% of it).

When two objects collide, there are infinite possible combinations of final velocities that will satisfy conservation of momentum.
Many of these possible solutions violate conservation of energy (because energy comes from nowhere)
Some of these possible solutions result in a decreased amount of kinetic energy (so-called "inelastic collions")

But there is only 1 solution of conservation of momentum which leaves the kinetic energy unchanged.
This sitatuion is referred to as an "elastic collision"

In your example, the "elastic solution" would be [itex]a_{final}=0[/itex] and [itex]b_{final}=10\frac{m}{s}[/itex]

Likes 1 person
HA!

Thank you. I did not realize. The square of the velocity!

That is exactly what I was missing.

5^2 plus 5^2 is not the same as 10^2. Lol

Related to Elastic vs Inelastic Collision: Mass & Kinetic Energy

1. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that no energy is lost during the collision. In contrast, inelastic collisions result in a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects involved sticking together or deforming.

2. How does mass affect collisions?

Mass plays a role in determining the outcome of a collision. In elastic collisions, the ratio of the masses of the two objects determines the ratio of their velocities after the collision. In inelastic collisions, the mass of the objects affects how much kinetic energy is lost during the collision.

3. Can a collision be both elastic and inelastic?

Yes, a collision can be both elastic and inelastic. This is known as a partially inelastic collision, where some kinetic energy is lost but the objects involved do not stick together or deform completely.

4. How is kinetic energy conserved in elastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved because the objects involved do not experience any external forces during the collision. This means that the initial kinetic energy of the system is equal to the final kinetic energy of the system.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic and inelastic collisions?

A common example of an elastic collision is a game of billiards, where the balls collide with each other and rebound without losing any kinetic energy. An example of an inelastic collision is a car accident, where the cars involved deform and some kinetic energy is lost in the form of sound and heat.