Electric Bass Tone Filter/Volume circuit

In summary: if the volume pot is set at a high resistance, it will let through more high frequencies (since they're low resistance), but if the volume pot is set at a low resistance, more high frequencies will be dumped to ground.
Mutauelectron
Hello all,

I'm starting an undergraduate research project at my University regarding guitar pickups and their geometry. To begin, I'm first trying to understand the pickups and the circuits they are connected to, pre-amplifier.

Please understand I have very limited knowledge in circuits and almost everything I've done has been basic DC circuits involving resistors and capacitors. I'm doing the project to expand my knowledge in the subject independently (and because I'm building an electric guitar from scratch, so it ties in nicely).

The circuit I'm looking at now is off of a simple Fender style Bass. I found a schematic on the internet.

[PLAIN]http://www.axiomatic-music.co.uk/acatalog/PBassSchematic_compressed.jpg

Can someone help explain to me how the tone control works when it is in parrallel with the volume knob. It seems like some frequencies would escape volume change.

While typing this, I thought of an error I made when using the function generator, so that might be the cause of my confusion. Regardless, I wanted to post the question to get some input from more experienced people. Sorry if I didn't word it clearly, some things got deleted when I realized the mistake I had made.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Mutauelectron said:
Can someone help explain to me how the tone control works when it is in parrallel with the volume knob. It seems like some frequencies would escape volume change.
That is a simple treble bleed circuit. The lower the resistance offered by tone pot, the more the high frequencies will get shunted to ground.

Look at the input lugs of the two pots. They are tied together. If the tone pot is set to its highest resistance setting, most of the input signal feeding the two pots will exit the "hot" lug of the volume pot and make it to the jack. If, instead, you set the tone pot to a lower resistance level, more and more of the high frequencies will be dumped to ground (and the effected frequencies can be tuned by your selection of the capacitor value). Even simple passive circuits like this are interactive, though it's not always intuitive.

Right on. That helps a lot. Could you explain the idea of "dumped to ground" a bit more? Right now it's my understanding that the circuit isn't grounded to the bridge so much as the bridge is grounded through the circuit and therefore, through the amplifier (to help keep away noise).

I guess I'm just asking how grounding works. I'll be reading on it after posting this, but you did an excellent job explaining in your first answer, so I'm hoping for another great reply.

Thanks!

Mutauelectron said:
Right on. That helps a lot. Could you explain the idea of "dumped to ground" a bit more? Right now it's my understanding that the circuit isn't grounded to the bridge so much as the bridge is grounded through the circuit and therefore, through the amplifier (to help keep away noise).

I guess I'm just asking how grounding works. I'll be reading on it after posting this, but you did an excellent job explaining in your first answer, so I'm hoping for another great reply.

Thanks!
The output signal from the guitar to the preamp is the difference between the hot and the ground legs of that circuit. If you you bleed some of that input signal off to ground (via the tone circuit), then the total signal out of the guitar is diminished. It's not that the signal is non-existent - it is diminished to the extent that the difference between the "hot" and the "ground" in the guitar circuit are diminished. I hope that helps.

Yes, it does indeed. Now, the way I understand it, the filter (at a certain setting) makes certain high frequencies consider it to be a low resistance path and those same high frequencies consider the volume knob to be a high resistance path. Therefore, despite the voltages the same at the leads to the V and T pot, the current flowing through them will vary greatly, and the T (tone) pot will have almost all of the certain high frequencies passing through it. Since it leads to the ground terminal and not the "hot" (I believe that's the right word) terminal, they won't be nearly as prominent in the output.

I believe this is pretty much just what you said in the first post, but the second post helped further my understanding. I don't *completely* get it, as in, I'm not sure what really happens to the high frequencies bypassed to the ground, but I imagine some of it needs to come with experience.

If anything I said trying to summarize what is going on in the circuit was wrong, please correct me. Thanks again!

I'd say you're pretty close. As an exercise, draw the same circuit without the tone pot. You can see that the "can" of the volume pot, the ground side of the pickup lead, the bridge and the ring of the jack are all at one potential. The magnitude of the signal coming from the output (center lug) of the volume pot is dependent on the setting of the volume pot. There is a wiper inside the pot that is in contact with a resistive strip, so that pot acts like a variable resister, depending on where the wiper touches the strip. At the highest resistance, very little signal gets to the center lug (output) of the pot.

Now look at the original drawing that you posted here. The capacitor could have been attached to any of the grounds in the schematic, and it would still provide a path to bleed treble frequencies to ground. For purposes of keeping the circuit simple and rugged, the capacitor is soldered to the "can" of the volume pot. If there was a simple capacitor in the circuit and NO tone pot, you would only have one (rather dark) tone available. In this case, though, you have another variable "resistor" - the tone pot - that regulates how much of the treble signal that you will bleed to ground.

Some simple guitar wiring years ago consisted of a pickup selector switch and a volume pot. The tone control was a simple 3-position toggle switch that retained all the treble in the center position and allowed you to choose between two capacitors in the other two positions. Gretsch guitar-owners used to call the tone selector the "mud switch". Gretsch guitars were very popular with country-western players who tended to be pretty fond of the "twang" and didn't use the tone switch much.

FAQ: Electric Bass Tone Filter/Volume circuit

1. What is an Electric Bass Tone Filter/Volume circuit?

An Electric Bass Tone Filter/Volume circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is used in electric bass guitars to control and manipulate the tone and volume of the instrument. It consists of various components such as resistors, capacitors, and potentiometers that work together to filter and adjust the signal from the bass pickups.

2. How does an Electric Bass Tone Filter/Volume circuit work?

The circuit works by altering the frequency response of the bass signal. The tone control adjusts the amount of high frequencies that are allowed to pass through, while the volume control adjusts the overall output level. The specific components and values used in the circuit determine the exact frequency response and tone characteristics.

3. What is the purpose of an Electric Bass Tone Filter/Volume circuit?

The main purpose of the circuit is to give the bass player control over the tone and volume of their instrument. This allows for a wider range of sounds and tones to be produced, making the bass guitar a more versatile and expressive instrument. The circuit also helps to shape the overall sound of the bass, making it more suitable for different musical styles and genres.

4. How does the position of the controls affect the tone of the bass?

The tone and volume controls are typically located on the bass guitar itself, near the pickups. The tone control usually has a knob or switch that can be adjusted to different positions, which changes the tone of the bass. The volume control adjusts the overall output level of the bass, allowing the player to make their sound louder or quieter. The specific effect of the controls will vary depending on the type of circuit and components used.

5. Can an Electric Bass Tone Filter/Volume circuit be modified or customized?

Yes, the circuit can be modified or customized to suit the preferences of the bass player. This can include changing the type or values of the components, adding or removing certain parts, or even installing a completely different circuit. However, it is recommended to consult a professional or do thorough research before attempting any modifications, as it can affect the functionality and sound of the bass guitar.