Electric Charge: Finding Q_1 Given Q_2 & r

In summary, the problem involves two small balls with the same radius and charge, initially separated by a distance r. After being released, they move towards each other, touch, and then repel each other. When their distance is 4r, the repulsive force is 1/20th of the initial force. The charge of the second ball is given as Q_2 = 2*10^-5 C. Using the equations F = 9*10^9*Q_1*Q_2 / r^2 and Q = (Q_1 + Q_2) / 2, a quadratic equation is obtained to solve for the charge of the first ball, Q_1. Two solutions are obtained,
Robin04

Homework Statement

The distance between two small balls of the same radius and charge is r. If we release the balls they approach, touch and then repulse each other. When their distance is 4r the repulsive force is 1/20th of the initial force. What is the charge of the first ball if the second's is Q_2 = 2*10^-5 C?

Homework Equations

F = 9*10^9*Q_1*Q_2 / r^2
Their charge after the collision: Q = (Q_1 + Q_2) / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

In the end I got a quadratic function but the discriminant was negativ.
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/150227/11026697_898760020174352_224095763_n_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
##20 = \frac{16Q_1Q_2}{Q^2}##. Can this equation possibly be true if you consider the signs of the charges?

TSny said:
##20 = \frac{16Q_1Q_2}{Q^2}##. Can this equation possibly be true if you consider the signs of the charges?
You're right. And if I write -20 instead of 20? Because the force in (2) is in the opposite direction as in (1).

I think that should work.

I did it. The two solutions are: -4*10^-6 C and -1*10^-4 C. Both of them are negativ. How can I decide which one is correct? Or maybe there's two correct solutions?

I get different answers for Q2. But I think you have it set up correctly (with -20).

To see if both solutions make sense, calculate Q for both answers. Then check if both solutions lead to the correct ratio of forces for the attraction at r and the repulsion at 4r.

Related to Electric Charge: Finding Q_1 Given Q_2 & r

What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter. It is a characteristic of particles that determines their electromagnetic interactions with other particles.

What is the formula for finding Q_1 given Q_2 and r?

The formula for finding Q_1 given Q_2 and r is Q_1 = (Q_2 * r) / (r + d), where Q_1 is the unknown charge, Q_2 is the known charge, r is the distance between the two charges, and d is the distance from Q_1 to the point where the electric field is being measured.

Can the electric charge of an object be negative?

Yes, the electric charge of an object can be negative. This means that the object has an excess of electrons, which are negatively charged particles.

How does the distance between two charges affect the electric force?

The distance between two charges directly affects the electric force between them. As the distance increases, the electric force decreases. This is because the electric force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

What is the unit of electric charge?

The unit of electric charge is the coulomb (C). This is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is defined as the amount of electric charge transported by a constant current of one ampere in one second.

Back