Electric Circuit: What Slope Tells You

In summary, the conversation discusses conducting a lab experiment to measure resistance and current in a circuit. The results showed that the greater the length, the higher the resistance. Ohm's law states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance. The formula V = IR can be rearranged to the form Y=MX to plot a graph of Y against X.
AddversitY
What does the slope of a length vs. resistance graph tell you?
Slope=?

What does the slope of an inverse resistance vs. current graph tell you?
Slope=?

Here's what I had to do for my lab:

1: Construct a circuit where I connect a clip onto a wire that allows electricity to flow. Move the clip down the meter stick until you reach 100cm. Result: The farther I moved the clip down the wire the dimmer my light bulb got. The power source was a battery.

2: Measure and record the voltage of the circuit across the battery - this needs to only to be done once. Result: The voltage stayed the same (I do not know if that is correct).

3: Instert an ammeter and measure and record in a table the corresponding current (I) at each position (l).

4: Predict the Resistance (R) at each position.

5: Construct the following:
A) Length (l) vs Resistance (R)
B) Inverse Resistance (1/R) vs Current (I)

My graphs looked like the following: (If anybody has any recommendations on where to create graphs PLEASE tell me, this site isn't too great.)
A = http://www.chartgo.com/share.do?id=d886b9a8aa
B = http://www.chartgo.com/share.do?id=94f8b0fdaa

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly how does resistance relate to length? (think of resistivity of a material)

Secondly what does Ohm's law state?

rock.freak667 said:
Firstly how does resistance relate to length? (think of resistivity of a material)

Secondly what does Ohm's law state?

1: The greater the length results in more resistance.

2: Ohm's law: The current passing through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference (i.e. voltage drop or voltage) across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

AddversitY said:
1: The greater the length results in more resistance.

So what formula relates resistance and length?

AddversitY said:
2: Ohm's law: The current passing through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference (i.e. voltage drop or voltage) across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

So then you have V = IR, how would you rearrange the formula to get in the form Y=MX where you plotted Y against X?

I would like to provide a response to the content and steps provided in this lab. First, let's discuss what an electric circuit is. An electric circuit is a closed loop or path through which an electric current flows. It typically consists of a power source (such as a battery), conductors (such as wires), and a load (such as a light bulb). The flow of current in a circuit is directly related to the voltage and resistance in the circuit. Now, let's focus on the two graphs that were constructed in this lab - length vs. resistance and inverse resistance vs. current.

The slope of a length vs. resistance graph tells us the resistance per unit length of the wire. In other words, it shows the relationship between the length of the wire and the resistance it presents to the flow of current. The greater the slope, the greater the resistance per unit length of the wire. This can also be seen in the equation R = ρl/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, l is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire. Therefore, the slope of a length vs. resistance graph can provide us with information about the resistivity of the wire.

Moving on to the inverse resistance vs. current graph, the slope of this graph tells us the resistance per unit current in the circuit. In other words, it shows the relationship between the current flowing through the circuit and the resistance it encounters. The greater the slope, the greater the resistance per unit current in the circuit. This can also be seen in the equation V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. Therefore, the slope of an inverse resistance vs. current graph can provide us with information about the resistance in the circuit.

In conclusion, the slope of a graph in an electric circuit can provide us with valuable information about the resistance and resistivity in the circuit. By analyzing the slope, we can better understand the behavior of the circuit and make predictions about its performance. Additionally, it is important to note that the voltage in the circuit remained constant in this lab, as it is a characteristic of the power source. I hope this response has been helpful in understanding the concepts and implications of the graphs constructed in this lab.

Related to Electric Circuit: What Slope Tells You

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path that allows electrical current to flow from a power source, through various components, and back to the source.

2. What is slope in relation to electric circuits?

In electric circuits, slope refers to the rate of change in voltage or current over a certain distance or time. It is typically represented by the letter "m" in equations and graphs.

3. How is slope calculated in an electric circuit?

Slope can be calculated by dividing the change in voltage or current by the change in distance or time. This can be represented as rise over run, or ∆V/∆x for voltage and ∆I/∆t for current.

4. What does slope tell us about an electric circuit?

The slope of an electric circuit can tell us about the resistance of the circuit. A steeper slope indicates a higher resistance, while a flatter slope indicates a lower resistance.

5. How can we use slope to analyze an electric circuit?

By analyzing the slope of a graph or equation in an electric circuit, we can determine the relationship between voltage and current, as well as the resistance of the circuit. This information can help us better understand the behavior of the circuit and make predictions about its performance.